5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 7:17 AM by Steve Calvert

PREVENT FUTURE REBUILD OF ASSEMBLY

Josh Chapman

Can I save an assembly or drawing so it will not ever rebuild in the future? I have a lot of problems with SW rebuilding assemblies with the wrong fasteners and losing important information.

Is there a way to prevent an assembly from ever looking up referenced parts again, or can you do some sort of internal pack and go. Like if I could make the file contain all the relevant reference

items like screws and washers internally then in 5 years if I open that assembly it will be right even if I've changed my parts library.

• Re: PREVENT FUTURE REBUILD OF ASSEMBLY
          Steve Calvert

Don't change your parts library.  A piece of hardware should never be changed for reasons you've described unless you understand the outcomes (all of them).

Rebuilding and getting files for an assembly are 2 different things.

Do you use a PDM system?

What if you made the hardware parts virtual?

Steve C

John Stoltzfus

Steve - I have lived that nightmare as well by using called Toolbox, - for years I kept adding to my own library of parts, then in 2011 I decided to start using the SW Toolbox, worst thing ever, there was a bug in one of the releases later, had about a years worth of machine design and tons of fasteners that grew when you opened up assembly after assembly.  Never again, my own library works better easier to use etc....

Josh - Don't use Toolbox, create your own...

"Rant over"

Steve Calvert

That's why I asked if he had a PDM system.  I don't use the toolbox except for creating of parts, the PDM system takes over after that.

Steve C

Josh Chapman

Ageed. We don't use tool box, but sometimes sw defults to the took box file locations (new install, new computer, new OS etc.) today one of our guys was suffering this.

We have our own design library of parts we have made but I am a little concerned that perhaps we could screw up a screw or damage a damper or otherwise corrupt a component part file someday into the future. most likely is the case of a screw that gets a renovation to it's design table and a new set of configurations.

so what happens if my assembly references config 101 in a screw and then later for some reason my screw model gets changed and 101 is no longer a valid config? or it gets renamed to config 1001. Now my original assy is broken.

Steve, We don't use PDM, we use a software repository called Tortoise SVN. I would like to better understand making parts virtual.

Steve Calvert

I use 'virtual' because my PDM system, Smarteam, allows me to and it doesn't create a profile card so that means i could put anything I wanted into the assembly, make it 'virtual'.  Virtual also means you'll lose any link to the parent (real) file, so be careful on how you use it.

Here is what you'll see if you virtualize a part.  I've renamed the very first component (in this case an assembly) to TEST BRACKET

I normally use 'virtual' when making cable harnesses, that way I don't have to take out a number for a bunch of wires that isn't really going to be in my BOM anyway.

If a config is changed, the assembly that uses it will recognize this and let you know with a message (I'm not sure exactly what message outside of a PDM system).  Or if it's a simple name change in only one config, it will happen without any problems.  I'd suggest that you not rename parts without having the assy it's used in open as well.

Steve C