1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 2:24 PM by Brian Hillner

Visualize training webinar suggestions

Bill Toft

This is directed to Brian Hillner, but everyone should feel free to add to my list!

As a long-time SolidWorks / PhotoView 360 user, I have a few suggestions for what I would like to know to get working efficiently in Visualize.

The first thing I did after installing Visualize was to complete the Learning Path of 6 Visualize training courses. These courses are great because you can follow along and try the steps yourself. I know more courses are planned and I would like to know their release schedule.

Like many of us, I find the webinar / lunch-and-learn format a great way to get an overview of how to use a product in the real world. It gives the big picture context / road map for more detailed study of specific features later.

Brian, you are an excellent presenter. I have watched the Visualize Beta webinar you did and an earlier Bunkspeed webinar and you are a natural.

I strongly recommend that you do an updated version of your Visualize Beta webinar (say 1 hour) to give the "big picture", then a series of shorter (say 30 minute) webinars to get into the details of specific functions.

Here are my suggestions for topics:

1. Compare and contrast Visualize and PhotoView 360.

•      a. Ray tracing vs. rendering

b. Integrated vs. standalone

c. Move camera vs. move model

d. Functionality comparison (like rendered animations) to show what can & cannot be done.

2. Compare Visualize Standard & Professional

a. Most of us will stick with Standard unless there is a compelling reason to pay for the upgrade.

b. So for marketing purpose I can see the webinars using Professional, but there is some rationale for having that first webinar in two parts: start with Standard to show what everyone can do, then do the second half in Professional. Or maybe 2 webinars.

c. Also maybe a quick history of Bunkspeed and how the old product line migrated to Visualize.

d. Planned updates (releases / service packs) & schedules.

3. Best practices in SolidWorks to set up a part/assembly for Visualize

a. Assigning materials & appearances

b. Setting up correct orientation

c. Reduce a large assembly (lots of hidden fasteners/components) for faster loading. (hide parts, convert assembly to part, etc.)

d. Importance of having that linked relationship.

4. Migrating from the way we assign materials & appearances in SolidWorks

a. Assigned in Part feature tree at component, body or feature/face

b. Assigned in Assembly to over-ride part appearance

c. Copy appearance from one part to another

d. Grouping imported appearances

e. Easily replacing imported appearance with a Visualize one.

5. Environments

a. Compared with PhotoView 360.

b. Overview of what HDRI really is and how it works for lighting.

c. Why individual lights aren't really needed.

6. Cameras

a. Compared with PhotoView 360

b. What is included with a saved camera

7. Getting around the screen

a. Keyboard shortcuts & mouse movements.

b. Moving / rotating the environment

c. Moving / rotating the model

d. Moving / rotating the camera

e. Selecting / changing appearances

8. Rendering

a. Preview vs. Fast vs. Detailed screen display

b. Go to Preview mode before final render!

c. Number of passes

That should do it for the overview introductory webinar!

The first detailed webinar should cover Appearances, especially how (and more importantly WHY) to use all those options to create a desire look.

Thanks, Bill

• Re: Visualize training webinar suggestions
          Brian Hillner

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it.

Great thoughts with the Visualize webinars! We really want to make sure we can create meaningful Visualize longer how-to videos for Visualize. We do aim to host a couple quite soon. Be on the lookout for the typical SW webinar email blasts.

Thanks!