6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 1:50 PM by Joe Schmo

New user from IV, what are some of the SWX equivalent commands?

Joe Schmo

So I'm new to SWX and come from the IV world.  I was wondering if someone could give me the equivalent SWX command to that in IV?  I do searches but because the terminology is different I find myself having trouble finding them. Also there's a few features I've seen in various videos I'm having trouble finding how to add to my interface.

A. Adaptive and or Flexible assy.

B.  How do I get to the list of parameters and their formulas?

C.  iMates

D. iAssy's

E. iParts

F. FDS assets

G. How do I get the surface tab as part of the Features tab and not a standalone menu?

H. Insert constraint.  It's technically a surface mate constraint and axis mate constraint rolled into one but is a nice feature.

I. Is there a selection wheel?  All I've found is the select other option which I find somewhat less preferable.

J.  How do I get the feature wheel option to show?  I've seen this in videos and it looks nice.

K.  Where can I find a list of the shortcuts keys?

L.  Why do I see a constraint option only sometimes and usually only for a split second.  I typically need to select items>right-click> pray the options to add constraints shows up.  Often with sketch constraints and lots of other items like hide/show I will see the option but the second I move my cursor to the option the box disappears.

M. Adaptive parts.

N. FDS connectors

• Re: New user from IV, what are some of the SWX equivalent commands?
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  I'll help where I can.

A.  See #1 at Frequently Asked Forum Questions

G.  Right-click on the gray area at the very top of your monitor and choose "Customize" from the drop-down.  You can drag any command you want from there onto any tab. (I have several Weldment commands on my Features tab.)

I. and J.  Do you mean Mouse Gestures?

If yes, set your options for each SW file type again by going to "Customize" and then to the Mouse Gestures tab.   And you activate Mouse Gestures by right-clicking and dragging a short distance.

K.  "Customize" again, and the Keyboard tab.  Click at the top of the column to get a list of the default shortcuts, but you can customize them to suit you.

L.  By "constraints" I assume you're referring to sketch relations?  If so, Ctrl+select the entities you want to apply the relations to and then release Ctrl to get the relations toolbar.

I could probably help with more of your questions, but I'm not familiar with some of the terms.  If you don't get answers from someone else please explain further and I'll try to help more.

Joe Schmo

Thank you so much. 

To clarify some of my questions...

I.  In IV there's a selection wheel (I call it a wheel mostly because I use the mouse wheel but it may be called something else).  So  if I make a selection I then wait a half second or so (based on the settings) and use the mouse wheel to scroll through the possible selections.  I can do this in SWX but I need to right click>select other and then I get an options dialog.  I much prefer the IV way as the "select other" dialog is in different places such that if I move fast I wind up selecting the wrong option.

J.  That's exactly what I was looking for!

L.  In IV the sketch constraints are in the ribbon so I'm never looking for them.  In SWX when I select two items in a sketch I frequently see the options dialog with the constraint options but as soon as I move the cursor to select them the dialog goes away.  This seems like a feature that could be very helpful but I can't seem to get it to work.  I have similar issues with left-clicking items in the browser.  Sometimes the options dialog appears and more often than not the dialog disappears as soon as I move my mouse to click the option.  The biggest frustration is that while I can see how the SWX method of showing options could be quick I can't actually use it. 

Glenn Schroeder

Joe Schmo wrote:

L. In IV the sketch constraints are in the ribbon so I'm never looking for them. In SWX when I select two items in a sketch I frequently see the options dialog with the constraint options but as soon as I move the cursor to select them the dialog goes away. This seems like a feature that could be very helpful but I can't seem to get it to work. I have similar issues with left-clicking items in the browser. Sometimes the options dialog appears and more often than not the dialog disappears as soon as I move my mouse to click the option. The biggest frustration is that while I can see how the SWX method of showing options could be quick I can't actually use it.

Ctrl+select your entities, then release Ctrl.  The box I showed above will appear.  Move your cursor straight to it and it should stay.  If you move your cursor in another direction it will go away.  Beginning with SW2016 it will remain active after making a selection so you can make another one if you want.  On earlier versions it will go away after making a selection.

Deepak Gupta

Some I could remember from my old Inventor days:

Joe Schmo wrote:

B. How do I get to the list of parameters and their formulas?

C. iMates

D. iAssy's

E. iParts

H. Insert constraint. It's technically a surface mate constraint and axis mate constraint rolled into one but is a nice feature.

M. Adaptive parts.

B: Tools > Equations

C : Mate References

D and E: Configuration/Design Table

H: Smart Mate

M : Smart Components

Joe Schmo

To help flesh out the original question for those unfamiliar w/ IV

A.  Thanks

B. IV has a function button that brings up a table with all the dimensions.  I can then rename dimensions (ie. d0 to Radius).  Here I can also add basic math to dimensions and see all of the updates in a table (ie. d0=Radius*pi, d1=Cos(d2-30))

C. iMates are assy constraints you add to a part/subassy so that when you bring that part into an assy it automatically applies said mate/constraint.  I know all cabinets base are constrained to the floor so I have an iMate for the floor and one for the foundation of the cabinet.  I add the cabinet to the assy and the floor/floor constraint automatically applies.

D.  iAssy is an assembly driven by a table (excel usually) with various details of an assy.  I can have multiple configurations of an assy with constraints driven by a table.  So in an assy I can add the 4 door cabinet w/ lock and the 5 door w/o lock.

.E. iPart is akin to a table driven part.  I have one base part where I have specific dimensions in a table so I can have an outlet w/ 2 plug option and one w/ 4 but all from the same original part.

F.  FDS Assets are a lot like table driven parts but IMO more powerful.  Instead of having parts driven from a table where one part is saved for each table variation you have one part w/ some alterable parameters.  When you add the part to an assy you add any customized dimension changes.  The asset travels with the assy eliminating the need for several files floating around.

G. Thanks

H. Assume you have a bolt you need to constrain to a thread.  The insert assy constraint lets you pick the flat edge of the bolt and mate it with the flat edge of the hole while simultaneously aligning the cylindrical axes.

K. Thanks

L.  Thanks

M. Adaptive parts are those that can be altered from outside the part.  The classic example is a spring which needs the axial length adjusted to the two flat surfaces to which it connects.

N. FDS (Factory Design Suite) connectors are a more powerful version of iMate.  Instead of just mating it uses iLogic to determine variables within the part.  So if I have a pipe run where I connect a 2"OD pipe to a 4"OD I can add an FDS asset with connectors that reads each end and adjusts the transition part to fit both diameters.