AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hole Wizard / Hole Table: Thin Material Countersink

Question asked by Steven Barry on Mar 7, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 by Habib Ghalamkari

I have an issue I have been trying to figure out related to countersunk holes created with the Hole Wizard tool.

For sheet metal parts that are thin enough that a countersink doesn't fully terminate with the drill diameter, the diameter on the far side of the material is some value between the top surface countersink diameter and the intended drill diameter.  I want to be able to call out this value on my hole table in my drawings, but SolidWorks insists on calling out the "Through Hole Diameter", as specified in the hole wizard dialog.

Now, I am aware of a workaround, in which I manually edit the through hole diameter to match the exact value it comes out to on the far side of the material, but that is an extra step I would prefer not to take.  Also, if there is a part with multiple hole wizard features, it would have to be done for each one, and they would not automatically update if you decided to change the hardware sizes or material thickness later.

I would prefer for SolidWorks to give me the physical diameter on the far side of the countersink rather than the nominal drill diameter.  I know it can be done somehow, because the hole can be dimensioned at that diameter in the drawing.  I just want to be able to get that information into my hole table without an excess amount of work.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or solutions!  Thanks.

EDIT:  See message below on "Define by Geometry".  How can I make this my default?

Outcomes