14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 9:14 PM by John Layne

How to sort Favorites?

Habib Ghalamkari

Is there any way to sort the favorite list in Hole Wizard feature?

The following is my current favorite and if possible, I prefer to sort the items.

12.jpg

thanks.

• Re: How to sort Favorites?
          Umberto Zanola

I'm not using 2016 and the that favorite list, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to save it on file and open it with excel to sort the items.

Habib Ghalamkari

Thanks for trying to help.
              Export Favorites Button only allows to save the file in sldwstl file format which I have no idea what it is.
              No option to save as excel is available.

thanks

Umberto Zanola

try to open it with notepad anyway, it could be a plain text file. After that you can change the extension to match solidworks expected filename (always make a backup of the original file).

Thanks to your post I discovered 2015 give me an error when trying to save the favorites on file... invalid characters in filename, I don't have a clue which filename it is referring to. The only non latin characters files are the templates, but obviously they don't use @#!" kind of symbols in their names as stated in the error window SW gives me....

EDIT

I figured out it refers to the hole name, and when saving a file it saves a single hole style per file.

Umberto Zanola

If you move the hole wizard favorite database in a custom folder you will see a HoleWizardFavorites.sldedb

which is a SQL database file. I tried to open it with a free SQL reader program and it contains indeed the record for each favorite hole not sorted by name. If the function is not build in SW I think you have to edit that database directly

EDIT

I was able to edit the file with this DB Browser for SQLite

and change the index field inside the favorites table in the database, it was a bit tedious, but it works and I have the holes sorted out by size.

The problem is that you have to to it once in a while... unless DS has a better way to do it inside SW UI.

Habib Ghalamkari

I've gone as far as opening the database in sql server. It was placed in

D:\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS Data\lang\english\swbrowser.sldedb

(is it what you're talking about?)

but I can't find the favorite table.

what exactly the favorite table's name is?

By the way there's a Hole Wizard Favorites Database option under File Locations in System Option.

If I find the structure of Favorite table, I may be able to have a customized database in a network drive for

all users and keep it the way I need to not be over written after each upgrade.

thank you

Umberto Zanola

In SW2015 it's called "favorites".

I have created 3 holes (3.8, 3.1 and 1.65 mm) favorites prior to edit the table then I changed their order editing the index field then file > write changes now I have 1.65 3.1 and 3.8 in ascending order

hope it helps.

EDIT

to make it works you need also to set

hole_1 hole_2 etc must end with the same number of the field index1 (i.e. 1 -> hole_1 3-> hole_3 5 ->tap_5)

Habib Ghalamkari

Sorry, but I feel so dumb. I can't find the favorites table in the database.

I even tried to run a select sql command, But I receive a no such table: error.

Is the database you opened SOLIDWORKS Data\lang\english\swbrowser.sldedb?

thanks

Tony Thompson

What are you using to edit the database? Is this a SolidWorks program or a separate program?

Also can you edit the database data because for some reason in 2016 when I edit a favorite and update it the value I entered is not being saved correctly to the database for some reason. For example I have a favorite for a #8 SHCS with a .1935 Drill and a .3125 c'bore diameter. Then I also have a #10 SHCS favorite that should be a .221 drill with a .375 c'bore diameter but it reads .3125 for the c'bore so I edit it then update / add it back to the favorites under the same name then add the hole to a part to complete which should save it but for some reason this is driving both the #8 and #10 c'bore diameters so when I change the #10 to .375 it also sets the #8 to .375 then if I edit the #8 to change it back to .3125 then it also changes the #10 to .3125 and I didn't' have this issue with SWX 2015. This is happening for another hole also.

I am using SWX 2016 SP4

Win 7 Pro 64

Dell Precision T5810

Nvidia K2200 Video card

Habib Ghalamkari

You can use any free sql database program or even microsoft access.

I used http://sqlitebrowser.org/ for this. And I have to say I wasn't able to actually do what was said above. I ended up with a lot of SW errors and then I found myself deleting the whole favorites and then re-adding them again in the order I needed. It was much faster to go underground for some abilities that SW is lacking and  has to offer in first place.
                                      Have you ever heard of a favorite in a program that the user can't organize it? unbelievable....

Sometimes I think the programmers of SW have never used it themselves and have no idea how their software is hard to use in some cases.

In case of the second section of your question, Favorites in SW doesn't keep Custom sizing.

You have to go to Options - System Options - Hole Wizard/Toolbox and click configure button and follow the screen up to your hole wizard and edit current values or add new ones.

John Layne

That's a heck of work around for something that should be very simple. We would like to utilize the favorites feature, so we can list the standard hole and obround punches our sheet metal providers have, but without sort it's almost useless.

We've tried other methods for standard punch lists, using standard library features but this too also has major work around issues. Standard library features for even simple round holes are problematic as when you decide to change size you'll get the message below, so any dimensions to position the holes become useless.

fearure.jpg