5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 2:04 PM by Anton Miller

Right Mouse Button Menus (can they be shorter)

Adam Snow

Maybe I messed my installation up by choosing to "Show All" the shortcut and menu items, but I've hit the "reset to Defaults" option under toolbar customization. Now it seems like right click menus are not usable. I receive a default right mouse window of ~8" in length with a dozen or so named commands, and another half dozen at the top that are just icons, but if I ever want a tool that is not one of those, I have to scroll through three menu lengths to find it since nearly every tool imaginable has been added to the right mouse button menu. I understand that I can "customize" the menu and turn tools off, but they only turn off from the first window. If I press the little double arrow at the bottom for more, all the icons I turned off show up again and there does not seem to be a fast way to scroll through the list.

Is this "normal", or something I can fix? There are lots of tools in the right click menu that I'd be happy to never see. Do I need a monitor that is 24" tall to fit the full menu?

• Re: Right Mouse Button Menus (can they be shorter)
          Glenn Schroeder

Adam,

When you right-click, choose the double-arrows at the bottom of the drop-down, then choose "Customize Menu" and de-select things those settings should stick for that context.  Of course there are a lot of different contexts, so you'll need to do this a fair number of times, but the settings should still stick.  Are you saying yours don't?

Adam Snow

Glenn, This is my RMB menu when in sketch mode and I right click in open space:

Default.jpg

I customize the menu to turn off tools I'll never use:

Customize.jpg

Then when I RMB again and choose the little down arrow to expand, I get all the tools I turned off in step 2. I thought if I turned them off, I'd never see them again.

Result.jpg

Glenn Schroeder

I'm not sure if this will work, but I have one more idea.  I see in the Customize Menu list that you still have an arrow at bottom to display more selections.

Click on that.  It will only add one command at a time, so keep clicking it until you get "Sketch Entities".  (That's the fly-out for all the sketch commands that you don't have checked.)  Select it so you'll have it available and then maybe (hopefully) the rest will go away.  If that doesn't work, and no one else here has an idea, I'd suggest giving your VAR a call to see if they can figure it out.

Adam Snow

Glenn, Thanks for the suggestion. I turned off every itemin the list, and tried a second time with just Sketch Entities turned on. In both cases the RMB menu is properly devoid of tools, but pressing the down arrow shows every tool again.

I'm going to delete the registry settings for my login and force SolidWorks back to default values. I suspect there is a bug of some sort that is left over from me pressing the "Show All" button so I could see some of the menu buttons that were hidden by default.

Anton Miller

by clicking the check mark it will keep it in the list, however it will only be shown when you click the arrow at the bottom.  so your not really turning it off, your just hiding it from normal view until you wish to see it.