5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 3:43 PM by Bob Heineman

Recent Documents in SW2016

Christian Chu

SW2016: Recent document list in the bottom of  File pull down menu is gone soon I open the very fist sw file

in 2015 or earlier releases, the list of recent documents is sill there no matter how many files I open

Is there an option somewhere I need to turn on or it's default on SW2016?

• Re: Recent Documents in SW2016
          Dennis Bacon

Are you saying you are not showing this?...

What happens when you hit the "R" key?

Christian Chu

Thank you, Dennis

I'm still using SW2015 and have not played much with 2016

I used to get the recent documents from the bottom of the File pull down menu and am not aware of this new feature in 2016

Bob Heineman

When I open 2016 without a file opening I see the list of the recent documents listed below as in every release before 2016. That is how I like it.

Now when I have a file open in 2016 I have to click File, then click Open Recent, and then select a recent document from the list.

This change is counter-productive as I have to click yet another menu link to get to where I want to go. Before this the recent documents list was conveniently located right below the File menu. I don't think having to fly-out another menu is making Solidworks more efficient for the user. I use my mouse for everything I can and I don't want to have to fly-out the menu twice or hit "R".

It would be nice if they add that feature back into Solidworks 2016. It's bad enough I have to look at the monochrome icon color scheme that some think-tank thought was going to be a positive change. Yuck!

I can at least say that 2016 is very swift compared to 2015 SP5.0 that was a complete slug compared to the pre 5.0 service packs.

Dennis Bacon

I understand what you are getting at. I suspect someone was whining about how long the list (from the file dropdown) was so this was added. Since we have been robbed of some real estate I suppose it would end up off my screen. You do realize that you don't have to click on "Open Recent" just drag the cursor over it for a split second then select your file. Thanks for the heads up on 2015 SP5.0. I'm still using 2.1 but was thinking of upgrading the SP (for the heck of it) even though I don't need it as far as I know. Still using Win7.

Bob Heineman

I'm sure I'll get used to the recent documents change soon enough. I think I was transferring some of my displeasure about the icon color scheme to something else. Once SP 3.0 rolls out; hopefully the colored icons will return and I'll be a happy camper again.

2015 was fine for me through SP4.0. I did have a few graphical issue glitches with the 2015 release but I upgraded to a newer PC with Windows 8.1 and a Nvidia Quadro K4200 at the same time so I'm not sure what to blame for those issues. I'll see if 2016 has the same little graphical bugs or not. If so my PC hardware might be to blame.

2015 SP5.0 was on my machine for about a month or so and it was enough to notice that I was having lagging issues the entire time using Solidworks and what might have been memory leaks. I would honestly not go past SP4.0 before you jump to 2016. I waited for SP2.0 based on forum users experience with the earlier service packs. If I had to wait any longer for 2016 2.0 I would have probably re-installed 2015 and not upgraded to disappointing SP5.0. Just my $0.02.

Thanks!