16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 4:25 AM by Y. C. Lee

Isometric dimensions

Geo Hagen
      Does anyone have a method for showing the dimensions of a isometrc view in the "right way"?
      Normally SW place the dimensions not in the same plane the dimension refers to.
      The dimension is placed on an angle compared to the reference plane.
      What I want, and that is normal for isometric dimensions, is a dimension in the same plane as the geometry.
      In part enviroment the dimensions are right in drawing enviroment are wrong.

I made some enhanchement request for this topic without result.

I tried to add pictures but it won't work
        • Isometric dimensions
          Ryan Hevner
          G,

I've found it often depends on which lines you pick for the dimension. See the attached picture.

for instance selecting the actual line will put in in one plane. Selecting the lines that intersect the endpoints of the original line will put it in another plane.

-Ryan
          • Isometric dimensions
            Charles Culp
            What is the "right way"?  If you look at my attachedfile, I have chosen "true dimensions" to show thedimensions along their appropriate axis. Is this what you want?

Are you discussing the orientation of the text itself?  It isalways "flat on the paper". I know of no drawing standardwhere text/numbers are not shown flat.
              • Isometric dimensions
                Geo Hagen
                Thank you for the reaction.

Hereby two pictures with what I call wrong and right.
                The black picture is the one I would prefer.
                This is a drawing for documentation for a factory making concrete parts.
                We already have hundreds of this kind of drawings made with an other cad package.
                With SW it is realy easy to dimens the parts but the text itself isn't correct.
                In the other cad package I have to define a plane first and then select the desired dimensions.
                • Re: Isometric dimensions
                  Y. C. Lee

Firslty, I'm new to this forum. I'm sorry if this question appeared   in other post, because I have not found a discussion right for the   problem.

Here is the problem:

I'm running SW 2009-2010 acdemic edition.

I've tried to mark  dimensions in an isometric section view (transformed from orthographic  section) of  assembly and parts for document illustration, I've tried  the following techniques I found in this forum,

A: Dimensioning the original orthographic section then turn it into an isometric section.

The Annotation just disappeared forever.

B: Dimensioning in the trnasformed isometric section view for all the related features.

The alignment problems in this group appeared, also the full circle (sectioned ih half) is marked as an arc (radius).

Secondly, Mr. Culp, why my drawing templates do not have the orientations you have in the TrueDimension.jpg

Deepak Gupta

How you are creating dimensions in the drawing? Are you importing them or creating in the drawing itself?

Peter De Vlieger

In my experience importing dimensions in a Iso piping drawing is an exercise in futility seeing as that most of them are useless and of no interest.

Deepak Gupta

I get this if I import dimensions in drawing from part.

Peter De Vlieger

*nod*

1) the text of the dimensions is not aligned as it should be for piping drawings, see my earlier post. That wasn't me being fancy full but that is the way that piping drawings have been dimensioned for several decades now. That is the way that I was taught, that is internationally the standard, anything else is just not proper.

2) in routing the dimensions you get on a drawing are the dimensions of the parts (e.g. the inner length of a flange) or the length of a piece of pipe between 2 fittings or something else that is neither here nor there. Most people that work in the speciality field that is piping have no interest at all to know what the length of pipe between two fittings are.

Deepak Gupta

Peter I'm not trying to against you but I feel you can create them in a way you way. Just orient to the proper view (in part/assembly mode) and them apply dimension. And for the required/essential dimensions, simply create driven dimensions which you feel you'll need in the drawing and import them only to the drawing views.

Peter De Vlieger

Sorry if I came across snippy.

If you put dimensions in a part or assembly then you'll see that even when you view it in ISO mode that the the dimension lines as well as text are located in the planes of the elements that they define.  (see demo1)

Make a drawing of it though and you get the following. (see demo2)

No matter if the dimensioning happened because one put the on the drawing manually or if they were imported from the model.

Now I know that in most fields that one is fine with that but piping isn't most fields.

The reason I get bothered by this is because it just doesn't comply to common practices and standards. It's as if the program would dictate that weld symbols should adhere to some strange standard used by a tribal community of wild ravenous welders who were living in a shelthered zone deep in the Amazon. I bet most users would be up in arms about that.

By the way, becarefull with true dimensions. I have it happen a couple of times now that true dimensions in a ISO view are far from true. Also be carefull if some entities shift or so because of wanted changes because the 'true' dimensions don't necessarily reflect the true dimensions.