4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 10:53 AM by Jim Sculley

Subassembly drawing using final assembly BOM

Benedict Kent

We have a final assembly of steel box, like a shipping container but more to it. It is made up of a base assembly, side frame assembly, and roof assembly.

Now in the final assembly model I have generated a BOM for the whole thing for purchasing purposes.

However the way we do our drawings, we have one sheet per drawing, so the base assembly will have a single drawing on a single sheet. I can create a BOM selecting the a view and that lists just what is in the base assembly. Fine but if cross referenced against the purchasing BOM it won't make much sense.

So I would like to be able to load in the purchasing BOM into any of the drawing we make and hide the rows that aren't needed. I've tried several ways but can't seem to get it to work.

• Re: Subassembly drawing using final assembly BOM
          Deepak Gupta

Have you tried this option or the one below it.

• Re: Subassembly drawing using final assembly BOM
            Jim Sculley

Benedict Kent wrote:

Fine but if cross referenced against the purchasing BOM it won't make much sense.

What won't make sense?  You haven't provided much information so I will have to do some deducing:

First, I would need to know what sort of BOM is in your top level drawing?  Parts only?  Top Level Only? Indented? 

Since you say it is used for purchasing purposes, I would deduce that it is either Parts Only or Indented.  But it can't be Indented, because that wouldn't cause any confusion in the subassemblies since all the balloon numbers would still match.  So, my best guess is that you are using a Parts Only BOM.  I would suggest that you place two BOMs on your drawing.  Explicitly mark the current BOM as FOR PURCHASING and the other one (a Top Level or Indented BOM) is for everyone else.  The balloons should be tied to the top level or indented BOM.  Purchasing probably doesn't care about balloon numbers anyway.  They just want a list of parts and quantities.