5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 3:21 PM by Casey Gorman

How do you protect intelectual property with 3D PDF created by SW MBD?

Alin Vargatu

I am in the middle of an MBD course. We found out that hidden PMI is available in the 3D PDF. Pretty much, all the feature dimensions became available.

How can I control what data is saved in the PDF and what is not?

• Re: How do you protect intelectual property with 3D PDF created by SW MBD?
          Alessandro Tornincasa

Alin,

I could reproduce what you're showing on a simple part.

I will play with it a little bit, and then I will give you some feedback.

I'm also starting to work heavily on MBD and GD&T, maybe we can share some knowledge.

I will send you a private message with my contacts.

Alex

Alessandro Tornincasa

Alin,

I tought that maybe MDB reads feature dimensions from annotation views. So my idea was removing all feature dimensions from annotation views that I'm publishing.

I've tried to put all feature dimensions on "unassigned items" annotation view (I was publishing 3D views containing "Front" and "Right" annotation views) therefore I was expecting that those 3D views wouldn't contain any feature dimensions.

I'm still experiencing behaviour you reported because I can see those hidden feature dimensions and activate them.

By the way you've opened an interesting discussion, but I could argue that it would be anyway unsafe since I can take measures manually on the 3D PDF.

I think that maybe Acrobat Pro has some features to restrict users.

You concern gave me an idea to make a test: open the 3D PDF in SOLIDWORKS Composer (virtually you could get a 3D model where you could put annotations to take mesure). When opening it Composer gave me an error, therefore I conclude that it's safe from that point of view.

Alex

Casey Gorman

I think I am a little confused here. Are you sending a STEP file with your PDF? If so, doing away with the dimensions on the published views wouldn't stop someone from copying your part as the would have the STEP file.

I am just trying to see the reasoning here. Most mechanical parts can be reversed engineered fairly easily. Also isn't the reason we are creating these files so a supplier can make them? You should have an IP agreement with your suppliers that states the will not share your part/design information with others without your permission.

Here we actually see being able to access the PMI as a plus.