7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 2:08 PM by Pete Yodis

View of SolidWorks file relationships

Pete Yodis
      Can PDMWorks Enterprise show the graphical BOM view of SolidWorks files like PDMWorks Workgroup does. I have been through the online demos of PDMWorks Enterprise and have not seen this capability. It seems to show all SolidWorks files in a flat file view only and not the nested or graphical BOM view as I am calling it. This would be very nice for quickly seeing a product structure, and an area that PDMWorks Workgroup is great for.

Pete

• View of SolidWorks file relationships
          Jeff Sweeney
          On the left side you get the assembly structure, on the right ifyou look closely you can see an indented tree structure with parts.(I hope this indenting improves a little in the future, I find ithard to see at a glance.)
            Joy Garon

Hi Pete -

If you look at the Contains tab, you will seewhat you are looking for...

Pete Yodis
                But as far as looking at a folder in PDMWorks Enterprise, all files are shown in a flat file view just like in windows explorer correct? There is no way to view files in the PDMWorks Workgroup type manner - other than the contains tab? Jsweeney1, its hard to tell what you selected when looking at your picture. I don't have PDMWorks Enterprise - I'm curious to see how it handles this. Did you select a folder to view its contents? What about when you have a SolidWorks assembly that contains parts located in another directory? PDMWorks Workgroup shows those part files indented under the assembly but with a slightly different icon - letting users know that the files exist in projects other than the one you are currently browsing and that this icon is really a link to the document. This is very handy for drilling down into a product design no matter where the files are located in the vault. Joy, I was not able to see your picture for some reason.
                    Jeff Sweeney

I selected an assembly file, and then switched to the BOMtab.

It doesn't matter where the children are of the assembly, as longas they are in the vault they will appear in this view. (There areno special icons to designate the files exist in another folder.)As I pick on different assembly files, this view automaticallyupdates.

You can navigate up and down the tree structure by using the treeon the left side or browsing to the file in question (it is just aRMB click away)

Pete Yodis
                        Joy,

I can see your picture now. I see how its working. Looks like you have to select a document first to see the relationships. PDMWorks Workgroup has an advantage over this method in that all the relationships of files in the project can be shown in a heirarchial view without having to select a document first. Would be nice if you could vave different view styles on the folders themselves so that you could either view it in flat file view, or in the manner that PDMWorks Workgroup functions. This would make it easier for admins of PDMWorks Workgroup to migrate and not have as much retraining to do with their users. If the interface looked a little more similar.... I will submit an enhancement request.