AnsweredAssumed Answered

Am I really missing something?

Question asked by Travis Mikula on Nov 8, 2007
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2007 by Duane McCulley
Hi All,

I'm a tool designer. I don't do anything with COSMOS, realview, complex surfacing, scenes, etc... I basically work with rectanular metal blocks, and if it looks like it's not strong enough, I throw more metal at it. My computer specs are listed below.

I've been reading through a lot of posts this morning, and did a test where I went into one of my largest layouts (about 500 parts) and turned on the "Use Software OpenGL" button in options/performance. With this on, it performed horibbly, so I turned it back off. From what I've read, if you aren't using it in OpenGL, you're sacrificing a lot of speed. I know that the graphics card they put in my computer is not one of the SW recommended cards. The issue is that I work for a very small company (about 15 people) and I'm the only engineer. When I started looking at the cost of the decent Quatro cards I found them to be rediculously expensive!

My question is this: knowing what I do with SolidWorks, would I even see any difference in performance IF I was able to talk the owner of the company into ponying up for one of these super-expensive graphics cards?

Outcomes