4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 2:55 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Offset entities in a 3D sketch

Rob S.

Is it possible to use the offset entities feature on a 3D sketch? Below is my sketch, I was hoping to just use the offset feature to duplicate it 8 times.

• Re: Offset entities in a 3D sketch
          Doug Kuhn

The problem with offset sketch entities is that it's a 2d command only.  there is no way to show which direction you want it to go.  so my suggestion is to make a surface that uses this sketch as your edge...then offset your surface.  this will allow the sketch to get larger or get smaller.  or do multiple sketches that are offset and use projected curves or composite curves.

Glenn Schroeder

What type of feature are you creating with this sketch?  If you're creating a body can you create one instance and them pattern the body?

Rob S.

I am using the sweep feature. These will be lines of tube/pipe

Glenn Schroeder

Rob S. wrote:

I am using the sweep feature. These will be lines of tube/pipe

Then creating the first sweep and patterning the body should work fine.  And by the way, if this is something you'll be doing often I'd highly recommend creating your pipe/tubing profiles and saving them as Library Feature Parts (.sldlfp files).  That will allow you to create bent pipe (or tubing) with the Structural Member function on the Weldments toolbar without the need to re-create the profile new every time.  It will save a lot of time, and has the added benefit of automatically creating the tubing length as a cut list property.