2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 7:08 PM by Oboe Wu

What does TDP (Technical Data Package) mean to you?

Tim Benson

Recently, I had a discussion with a couple of my upper level managers here regarding MBD. One of the subjects we discussed was the role the TDP would play in any enterprise-wide implementation. We're all aware of what the TDP is capable of - one stop shopping for all your part manufacturing needs - but what SHOULD it be? For example, it seems reasonable that the native CAD file or the neutral file (STEP, Parasolid, etc.) should be included, but what about manufacturing standards, engineering standards, proprietary standards, etc. At our company for example, we have standards for a critical cleaning process. Generally, we would reference this via a note on the 3D PDF (or drawings in prehistoric days ;-), but now we could embed that standard in the 3D PDF as well. But should we? How would that the veracity and effectivity of that standard be maintained? If the standard changed, do I then have to go back and revise all the parts/assemblies that referenced that standard?

I think the general perception is that the Holy Grail of MBD/MBE is the one single source of information regarding the part. The idea that you could send one file to anyone, anytime, anywhere, and get the part manufactured is intoxicating. So, how do you see TDP being used in your enterprise? What types of information would you embed in the 3D PDF? How would you manage changes to that embedded data? What pitfalls (if any) do you foresee? What other challenges may arise?

Looking forward to the discussion!

• Re: What does TDP (Technical Data Package) mean to you?
          Casey Gorman

Our product is a little different that many companies. We supply a single use product to the Navy in a high volume. So our TDP's are also a little different. We don't supply service/repair information/manuals. Lot testing is done to qualify our product. I am supplying this information as it might have bearing in the discussion.

In an earlier thread I provided a 3D PDF that shows some of what I will be mentioning.

If the notes are in regards to all encompassing standards (ASME Y14.50, ASME Y14.41, etc...) they are placed in the 3D PDF format. Notes that are more specific to the part are placed on the 'Notes' annotation view. So yes if these standards change or new ones are added, everything changes. This doesn't happen often here. As we make changes here to older drawings (or convert them to MBD) we review any standards on those old drawings to see if they are still relevant or even if they are maintained anymore. At that time we change them, as opposed to writing change orders to change the files.

An approach I used at another place of employment was just to refer to the Company Name standards. This would leave the files (drawings at the time) static and allow changes to the standards. I won't go into the politics of why this was done, but that company didn't change the standards that often either.

Here we are basing our MBD files on MIL-STD 31000A which requires a STEP file (AP242 when it becomes available) and a validation of the STEP files. Both of these are attached to the 3D PDF. During a change both of these files are updated and attached to a new published 3D PDF.

• Re: What does TDP (Technical Data Package) mean to you?
            Oboe Wu

Great discussion, Thanks, Tim.

My two cents:

1. I think what documents to attach a 3D PDF TDP depends on the usage scope of them.
            2. If a document is specific to a product itself, or in other words, a "local" document such as a SOLIDWORKS model, STP, an inspection report, a BOM table... then it seems more appropriate to be included in a specific TDP. After all, they need to work together to define a product and share a similar maintenance schedule primarily driven by specific product design changes.
            3. If a document is "global" across multiple products, or non-specific to one product, such as standards at ASME, Industry, or company levels. Then it may be better to be referenced in general notes, rather than being attached to a TDP. A global document update at a central location would be much easier than updating all occurrences here and there in numerous TDPs. Ideally, URLs on a 3D PDF would help with this reference.
            4. There might be contractual requirements or easy data access to justify attached global documents. I'd love to learn your considerations of including standards in a TDP. Then we can discuss further corresponding approaches.

-Oboe