13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 4:21 PM by Craig Schultz

How do I change the floor height?

Matt Graves

I just installed SW Visualize and imported a SW model. The floor plane, which looks like it is the top plane of the assembly model, is clipping the model - anything below it is gone. If I toggle the Floor shadow in the Scenes tab everything comes back but what if I want to keep the floor and just move it below my model? Playing with the size and height does not move the floor. I was hoping it would be more obvious, but I can't figure it out to save my life. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Re: How do I change the floor height?
          Nicolas Michel-Imbert

Yes in fact, use the moving model tool to - by opposition - change the floor height.

I think the floor is by definition locked. But you can change the height / position of your model, so...

Matt Graves

I have either found the answer or at least a workaround. I selected the whole model and move it up, and then had to change the camera to follow it. It could be that in the visualize methodology the "world" is fixed and the models move, whereas in SW/PV360 the model stays fixed and you move the environment, but moving the floor separately from moving the camera would be helpful.

Craig Schultz

Another way.....

6541.png

Select on the model, then

789.png

Sorry for the awesome snips....  But this is the easiest way I have found (so far) to move the model above the floor.

Brian Hillner

Hi Matt,

The environment is "fixed" in Visualize, however you can change the size, height and horizontal rotation to achieve the desired reflections on your model.

Visualize uses a default "floor" in order to add shadows without having users manually set up shadows.

You can also create primitive object, such as planes in Visualize from the Menu: Project > Create Model. You can then set this on the floor and place your object on it, should you want to assign an appearance to the floor.

You can have as many cameras as you want, and each can have its own Post-Processing settings and basic camera settings. Think of Visualize as a virtual photo studio, and the Viewport is looking through the camera lens you are holding in your hand as you move around your model.

Hugh Fan

Just wasted hours trying to position a model. Absolutely hate the way models are handled in bunkspeed / visualize. Often you can't rotate the model to the position you wanted, no front / left / right / iso views...etc

You should be able to rotate the model, zoom in zoom out like in Solidworks if you are going to call it Solidworks Visualize

Rather than spend time and money properly integrate GPU rendering into Solidworks and speed up photoview 360. They just re-branded the same crap and called it 2016.

Craig Schultz

Actually it's pretty simple to move/rotate models to the position you want through the handles, rotate 90 buttons (front/left/right views), flip, or numerical control boxes and then snap to floor.

Brian Hillner

Hi Hugh,

From the Menu bar, you can click View -> Show Camera Panel. This moves the camera to the views you are looking for, and then you can check Orthographic camera within the Cameras Tab options on a per camera. So this functionality does exist.

The core difference between SW and Visualize, is that you mostly rotate the model in SW, and you mostly rotate the Camera in Visualize...this is because Visualize is like a virtual photo studio.

Also, we are developing the same camera movements within SW for the Visualize interface as an option. This feature is planned for our 2017 release in fall 2016 alongside SW.

Thanks.

Hugh Fan

Hi Brian/David,

Thanks for your reply.

I like the GPU rendering capability of Visualize, but for someone who uses Solidworks 8-10 hours a day for more than 5 years, there are lot's of issues and trade offs moving from Photoview to Visualize. Allow me to generalize, Solidworks users use Solidworks mostly for engineering related work, screenshots is sufficient 90% of the time. Sometimes we are asked by sales to do a render to wow potential customers or gain approval from stake holders of a project, Photoview 360 + Modo materials is more than capable enough.

I started using Visualize a months ago to take advantage of my high end Quadro graphics card. I know all the Alt + mouse button short cuts. The rendering speed is great, but the time saved in rendering time is offset by the learning curve and awkward model/camera positioning. Although this is the same for Solidworks users picking up another rendering software like keyshot, blender etc. Someone has to spell out the ugly truth, Visualize is a pain to use and time saved doesn't justify the extra time needed to set up the scene.

Problems I have so far:

- Switching between Solidworks and Visualize waste time. Operation done with one hand/mouse in Solidworks now requires both hands + a mouse and unlearn Solidworks way of doing things.

- Material assigned in Solidworks often need replacements once in Visualize, you have to deal with a confusing mixture of scenes/material from Photoview and Visualize. We don't know stuff from Photoview / Modo will work in Visualize. Trial and error waste time.

- It's not possible to select features like a fillet or an extrude cut and apply a material to all the faces involved, you have to go through lots of steps to set up materials (or "appearances") in Solidworks to be able to select one feature or entire face in Visualize. Solidworks feature tree is not properly imported.

- Too many import options to choose from. If you imported the model/assembly in the wrong way, good luck trying to select the right feature or face. If you import everything and a feature is broken up into many different faces, you have to waste time selecting all these faces one by one.

- Selecting and moving part / assembly is very fiddly and hit & miss, often the model won't move up and down for no reason and requires very careful clicking of different options in the "touch screen style" buttons and use of your left hand pressing ALT key non-stop. When you want to rotate an assembly, you often hit an invisible wall and you are unable to rotate to the desired angle. If you think setting up a scene/camera in a rendering software is hard, imagine setting up the model in the correct position and correct floor height within a totally new set of parameters with restriction to rotation angle.

- There is an explosion of new parameters coming from Photoview to Visualize, something engineers and industrial designers shouldn't have to deal with.

To sum up, you have do extra work in Solidworks then in Visualize to get Visualize to work properly. All we ever need is Bunkspeed's material library + GPU rendering capability added to Photoview 360.

By the time you got everything right, your boss might have already lost patience and confidence in you and you start wondering why you didn't stick with Photoview.

Solidworks should admit they bought a overrated rendering software called Bunkspeed but couldn't integrate most of it's features and GPU rendering to Photoview without Modo.

My recommendations to engineers and designers, if your workplace doesn't appreciate time spent producing the prefect render, continue using photoview is the right way to go. If you got the whole weekend to spend doing work for your boss, do give Visualize a go, the rendering quality is better and you will be finally making use of the high end graphics card / workstation you spent so much money on. If you are a 3D visual artist, then use some proper software of your profession, you shouldn't be using Solidworks at all.

David Randle

Hugh -

It worries me that if you had a hard time with such a task, that as Craig mentioned should, be an easily resolvable workflow that you may be missing out on some of the additional benefits of Visualize. Have you considered reaching out to your VAR for training or watched the tutorials here: SOLIDWORKS Visualize | MySolidWorks Training ?