1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 10:45 AM by Diane Erwin

Why did plasma cutter cut mirror image of actualy drawing and SigmaTube simulation?

Diane Erwin

We have a Soitaab plasma cutter and have SigmaTUBE plug in out of SolidWorks for cutting SS and MS tubes.  I created the tube with openings for couplings to be cut by the plasma cutter.  Went through all the simulations to make sure that it would cut correctly, posted it with no problem and the plasma cutter cut a mirror image of the drawing.  Any idea why this would happen? 

• Re: Why did plasma cutter cut mirror image of actualy drawing and SigmaTube simulation?
          Diane Erwin

OK....no one out there has a clue.  Well after poking around and talking to people, I discovered this:  The drawing is a typical ANSI drawing and is configured in 3rd angle projection (American) and our plasma cutter is from Italy and configured in 1st angle projection (Europe). Therefore it "sees the drawing from a different angle and cuts in mirror image.  A friend of mine who works for a large German company had this happen with a part drawn in Catia that was sent to an italian casting manufacturer.  The parts arrived in Germany (skids and skids) all mirror images.

For him the consensus was that there are ways to change the angle projection but easier to draw it in mirror image for the plasma cutter and keep the original third angle projection drawing for assemblies and drawings.

Any thoughts or better ways to deal with this?