15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 12:00 PM by Bastian Krueckeberg

Solidworks Visualize - Stainless Steel Render.

Adam Shields

Hi all.

I'm looking for some guidance as to why my lower level stainless steel panels look flat and dull and show no light bounce at all. Please review the below image.

The upper section of the model looks fine and gives the shiny effect I am looking for, but the lower part with the RA Jones decal just looks really dull and kind of takes away the realism from this render. Any ideas? - Moving the environment doesn't seem to effect those bottom panels.

Using Visualize Standard.

Large Base Filler.png

• Re: Solidworks Visualize - Stainless Steel Render.
          Andreas Olofsson

Hi Adam,

You say moving the environment makes no difference. Does that include changing height and/or rotation of the environment sphere? Have you tried another HDR? Could you show us the one you're currently using as to give an idea of what is being reflected?

Adam Shields

Hi Andreas.

That was done using the 'Chrome Studio' and while it does effect the top parts when moving the environment (rotating) those bottom panels still remain dull and fake. I found the 'Chrome Studio' the be the best representation for my environment. Do you have any other suggestions for HDR? - Initially I thought the 'Warehouse' one would be best, but it's just dull and most of the other options are for outside.

screenshot1.png

Andreas Olofsson

I see. It seems that the lower part of your model is receiving reflections from the lower half of the HDR, which in this case is a gray gradient. I see your height is set to 2. Try setting it to 0 to make the HDR move down a bit, which might make it so that the panels will be reflected on the bottom half of the model as well.

If that doesn't make any difference, I'd suggest having a look at the cloud environments that you'll have access to if you move into your library and click that little globe icon. Look at where the orange arrow points in the pic below:

I saw that there's another version of the chrome studio that has the panels being stretched below the equator. You might want to try that one instead.

Adam Shields

Andreas,

I've got to say, I do think it's better with the 'Chrome Studio' you advised, the down side as that half the background is black and this doesn't look good through my glass. So that HDR, while maintaining a good stainless steel effect from above and improving the bottom panels by giving a gradient, lets me down with the black.

I really appreciate this help though, It's already improved my game! Thanks for this.

screenshot2.png

Adam Shields

It's such a shame, It's so close to looking really good. You can see from this image the effect I am trying to achieve below. This was with 'White Panel T's'. which is perfect below but not above lol.

screenshot3.png

Bastian Krueckeberg

Hi Adam, please try unchecking the "Solid" property of your glass material .This way, it should use the backplate/background color for refractions. You will still the reflections being taken from the (invisible) HDR environment though.

Andreas Olofsson

Hello Bastian,

Did that solution work for you? It didn't do so for me:

Chose the generic shader just so that I could turn off the reflections completely. That way I could make sure that the gray I was seeing was in fact refractions and not reflections.

Bastian Krueckeberg

I have tried multiple different things here:

env-visible.jpg

1. Environment visible.

env-inivisble-white-background.jpg

2. Environment invisible, White background color. Note that reflections and refractions are computed using the invisible environment. This is the actual problem being discussed here.

env-invisible-white-background-wall.jpg

3. Environment invisible, White background color. In addition to (2), a white wall (plane) was added behind the geometry. Now, reflections are still being computed using the environment which is expected but refractions are being taken from white wall in the background.

env-invisible-white-background-solid-off.jpg

4. Environment invisible, White background color. In addition to (2), the glass material property "Solid" was unchecked. This changes the illusion of solid glass (index of refraction) and colors still appear gray from the invisible environment.

Summarized: I believe that you can achieve the expected behavior by adding a wall (planar geometry) behind your scene!

Andreas Olofsson

2. Environment invisible, White background color. Note that reflections and refractions are computed using the invisible environment. This is the actual problem being discussed here.

Yes, I am very well aware of "the actual problem discussed here".

It's that the environment is being seen through transparent objects even when the HDR is not visible. That reflections are being calculated using the HDR is a given. That's what the HDR is supposed to do, along with lighting your scene, regardless of it being visible or invisible in the background.

That's why I turned my reflections off so that I would get no interference studying the materials refractions and see if Viz was still seeing the HDR through the glass, both with solid ticked and unticked. Which it did.

If the HDR does not "exist" in the background, why should it exist in refractions? Here, I'll make my point more clear:

Note that the windshield material is NOT reflective. The only thing you see in it are refractions. Don't you think the refracted background in the bottom pics ought to be of the green background color and not the HDR?

To quote Adam's prior post:

"...the down side is that half the background is black and this doesn't look good through my glass."

That's what "the actual problem discussed here" ended up being.

And as far as I've understood from previous experience with other renderers, is that making a transparent material "solid" means that it will calculate refractions for both front and back-faces. With the setting turned off it'll only calculate through the forward-facing surfaces. Which is why I don't see how turning the setting off would stop the HDR from being visible through the material. Spin your camera around a bit and you'll still be able to see it. Maybe not from the same angle as with the setting on but that's because the refractions are being calculated differently.

I assume.

Anyway, a colored geometry plane might work as a temporary workaround. For stills. In animations where the camera might be moving around - not so much. We still need an option to turn off HDR to be visible in refractions.

I thought that maybe adding a solid color backplate could work as well, but it didn't.

Andreas Olofsson

About the HDR showing through the glass...

I've had the same problem with one of my projects. Most of the time you don't want to have the HDR visible in the background for when rendering product images, but rather have a solid color making up the background.

Visualize allows for that BUT they haven't given us the option to disable the HDR being seen through refractions. Which I find extremely odd.

The image on the right ought to have the white background being seen through the glass, not the HDR. Makes it look like some really unappealing reflections, or as if the glass is tinted.

The only setting that sets these two images apart is the "show environment image" option. For some very odd reason the reflections aren't quite the same (look at the railing at the top of the pic), but the refractions seem to be.

I'd report it as an enhancement request, but I can't find any category in the knowledge base relating to Visualize...

Oh well, I guess I'll have to write them yet another rage-fueled e-mail.

Thanks for reminding me of this issue by the way. I'd forgotten to mention it in the last essay of improvements I sent them.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

Adam Shields

Guys.

I have one more question.

The model is really coming together, however, I have noticed that the stainless steel texture applied to most of my model is all in various scales, nothing is uniform. Then I noticed that there is a transform tab under the material whereby you can set the value to 'world scale', this would seem like the tool I need to use to make everything look uniform on the model, however, you can only click this option on each individual part, my model has thousands of parts.... is there any way to set all of my models texture transforms to 'world scale' in one click?

Screenshottransform.png

Andreas Olofsson

Adam,

Once again - I've run into the same problem. And I've reported it repeatedly, both during beta and post-release. So they are aware of it at least. Let's just hope they do something about it.

The only thing I've come up with that let's me set the texture scale uniformly is using the appearance import option.

If your source file is set up in such a way that it has certain appearances applied to certain parts, you could import it with the appearance option instead of automatic. You'll then get your parts with the stainless steel merged into a single part.

That means that you'll only have one part per material to manipulate the texture transform options for, and it will be applied uniformly.

It's not ideal though, if you ask me. But what can you do.

In my opinion the default scale value ought to be 1-1-1 for all parts, and your main way of setting the texture density would be via UV tiling.

The UV tile of a material acts like a multiplier for the scale values and will update the texture density across all parts simultaneously, but if the texture scale is not set to a common value across the parts the texture still won't be evenly distributed.

I have no idea who came up with the idea to set a random scale value for each part, but all I know is I despise that person.

SOLIDWORKS Visualize | MySolidWorks Training check out the first video "Import & CAD Live-Update" to get a better understanding of how the appearance import option works.