4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 6:35 PM by Peter Thickett

Upgrading to 2016 EPDM - Really confused...

Peter Thickett

Hey Guys,

So we are currently at 2015 SP5.0 and I am looking to upgrade us to 2016.

Now I am probably late to the game here but I noticed that there is no standalone installer for the EPDM client now, so it must be baked into the 2016 installer.

However the only checkbox I see for it in the admin image tool is the workgroup PDM option which obviously I don't want.

I even looked in the downloaded files in My Documents and there is no EPDM folder there with an install package.

My other question is - aside from the EPDM issues, if I update the network license manager for SolidWorks to 2016, will people running 2015 still be able to run SolidWorks? I only ask because I think I may do that sooner rather than later and get a test machine running 2016 up and running - prior to upgrading the vault as then I will definitely have to run around and do all of the client installs.

Thanks!

• Re: Upgrading to 2016 EPDM - Really confused...
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Peter, the installation media for PDM2016 is indeed included along with the rest of the SolidWorks installation files.

When installing, you need to install/upgrade the server components of PDM first, then upgrade the client(s). So when going into the Installation manager, choose the server product options, and you should see Install PDM Server components on this computer as option.

Alternatively, if you look in the files you downloaded for 2016, you should see a folder called swpdmserver, which contain the installation files for PDM alone.

As for your other question, yes you can upgrade the network license manager to 2016, and clients using SW2015 will still be able to use it.

Kind regards,

Prasad Bhonsule

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Peter, no worries.

When you choose to upgrade EPDM to 2016, if the 2016 license manager is already installed on the same machine, the installation manager will pick it up. If it's not on the same machine, it will try and install, but you can deselect it in the Installation Manager to prevent it from being installed.

Kind regards,

Prasad

Peter Thickett

Prasad,

Thanks again for your help! So far so good - I now have that folder after I opted to download all files.

Is the intent from SolidWorks that on the client side installation the PDM Pro install happens at the same time as the SolidWorks install? Or do you always have to navigate to that folder to run setup?

I just haven't seen it show up as an option to check when I configure SolidWorks admin installs that's why I ask.

Thanks!