12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 5:57 PM by Paul Salvador

Simple draft analysis help

Andy Braddock

I am sure this is a simple answer.  If I draw a 3" circle on the top plane, extrude it up 1"... I have a 3" diameter disk 1" thick.  When I go to mold tools and run a draft analysis, I can choose the top face(3" diameter face) as the direction of pull.  That works fine.....  But what I want to do is split it down the middle and pull it left and right... Essentially at the "right plane".  My problem is there is no face to choose for the direction of pull since it is a round face.  I have tried making planes and selecting them, but I just can't get it to work....  Thoughts?

• Re: Simple draft analysis help
          Dwight Livingston

Andy

I don't know of anything you can do without making something beforehand, like an edge or surface, etc.

For our model templates, I created X, Y, and Z reference axes and labeled them. Those axes are now in the feature tree of every model, right under the origin. I use them all the time. Because of that, when I have to do some heavy editing early in the tree, nothing fails because I picked a random edge to set a direction. That is my recommendation.

Dwight

Paul Salvador

Andy, you either extrude with draft or split the face of the cylinder and create drafts for each.

splitface.png

Brian Bump

Do a Mid Plane Exture and enter your draft angle.  It will draft in both directions from the sketch plane.

Andy Braddock

Here is a picture of the part I am trying to do draft analysis on....  This is cast using a match plate, so you can see that it is essentially split down the middle, perpendicular to  axis 1.   I know that I can work around this issue and "make it work", but I don't understand why I can't get the draft analysis to work in the direction I want.

It works in the perpendicular direction when I choose the round face...

but that is not how this part would be split......

Andy Braddock

I am trying to split this right down the middle.  I projected a parting line onto the surface... that didn't work either. 

Andy Braddock

so...  I wacked off part of my part to make a face for the direction of pull... and it works.

Isn't there a way to define the direction of pull on a part like this without have to make a face?

Andy Braddock

For some reason... this just doesn't work in my SW2015.  I made another simple test to see if I can get draft analysis to work by using a plane for direction of pull... the plane turns pink or purple, but draft analysis will not work.

If I extrude cut a flat surface on the top...... it works....

This is driving me nuts!

Andy Braddock

I am new to SW....  I purchased this for the sole purpose of designing patterns for our foundry.  So I am a little perplexed on how to move forward.....  So far. I have found 2 ways to manipulate it to work, both are not ideal.  The first, is to add a planar feature to the part,  this is just stupid.  The second is to add a cube or some other feature not connected to the part.  This doesn't affect the part itself, but you can't use parting line analysis because you have to choose the actual body you want to run the analysis on.    So am I correct in saying that SW2015 has a serious problem if you intend to use the Mold Tools?

Paul Salvador

well, that is a LOADED or vague question? 

...who knows,.. this software maybe the right fit...  but, this draft analysis fubar.. is a example of PITA quirks (there is some developer (s) who really like to play around fix/break code, imho)

Mold Design.. is CHALLENGING (as you know).

so,.. I'm sure the salesperson will tell/sell you a dream.. but and it will depend on the range of complexity and managment of the data you working with.

anyway, this software has issues with each release (and yes, all software does).. imho.. this software is a PITA... why, because, it's also easy to use.. on above average design problems.   That is, it NEVER fails.. there is ALWAYS something with this software, per release, per service pack...   

That best honest answer I have is (since 1998)... It's as if you always have to WORK AROUND SILLY QUIRKS.. ALWAYS.