7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 5:24 PM by Andy Sanders

SW2016: 1.5 Spacing in Feature Manager? Difficult-to-Use "List Selected"?

John Willett

I know there have been a lot of gripes about the SW2016 UI.  Has anyone seen these particular peculiarities?  I don't want to waste everyone's time; but tech support is telling me to reset the registry key, and I don't want to lose my customizations (on all three installed versions!) unless this is really atypical behavior:

I just installed SW2016 Premium SP2.0 on my Windows 7 SP1 system -- most recently I had been using 2015 SP5.0, which I still keep on my machine -- and I immediately noticed two very annoying features of the new GUI:

1) In 2016 the "Feature Manager" looks as though it's 1.5 spaced:

2016 Screen Shot 1.png

Less information can be seen on the screen at a time, requiring much more scrolling compared to 2015, shown here on the same problem:

2015 Screen Shot 1.png

(For those without the SW Premium, the Feature Manger on the Model tab looks just as shown here in each version.)

2) In 2015, when I wanted to "List Selected" plotted simulation results on a chosen face, the relevant window would cover the whole Feature Manager:

2015 Screen Shot 2.png

making it possible to do useful work without re-sizing things, and would close to show the whole feature manager when finished.  In 2016, however, the "Probe" window opens only in the upper (Model) section of the Feature Manager column, which I usually keep rather short:

2016 Screen Shot 2.png

This necessitates two additional steps to use List Selected effectively:  a) I have to drag the divider down to show enough of the Probe window to be useful.  b) After closing it I then have to drag the divider back up to see the Feature Manager as before.

Any of this sound familiar?  Any solutions?-- John Willett

• Re: SW2016: 1.5 Spacing in Feature Manager? Difficult-to-Use "List Selected"?
          John Willett

Update on the above post FYI:

Regarding (1) above, I am told by my VAR that the larger row spacing in the 2016 feature manager is "by design to optimize it for larger monitors."  I guess I'm just out of luck not having one of those.  Anyhow it's not a symptom of registry corruption, just another example of the poor GUI design in 2106.

On (2) above, I found the setting that controls this!  Under Options/System Options/General, I inadvertently UNchecked "Auto-size PropertyManager when panels are split."  This is what caused the List Selected (Probe) window not to expand over top of the Feature Manager.  Checking this option solved this problem, so I can't blame this on the registry either.

Case closed.  I'm not deleting this thread only because it might conceivably be of interest to somebody else (unless the moderator thinks not). -- John Willett

Jim Wilkinson

Hi John,

Your VAR is incorrect in this instance. By your image, it looks like you probably have your text scaling in Windows set at 125%. It looks like SOLIDWORKS is adding unnecessary space when at the higher scaling setting so we will be taking a look at it under SPR# 937694. I would suggest going back to your VAR with that SPR# so that they can attach your record to it and you can get notification when it is fixed.

As a workaround, if you don't really need the text to be at 125%, try setting it at 100% and this should put the spacing down to the minimum it can be. Some laptops default to 125% scaling so we find that some users may not even be aware that they have it at that % and sometimes they don't need it scaled above the 100%.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Paul Salvador

yep, sounds VERY familiar,..  my ICONS ARE FAT,  I have LESS information/text on the screen and I will NEVER GET MY REAL ESTATE BACK AGAIN.

More mouse clicks, more move/slide/adjusting... because,.. well,.. we need bigger text and icons for fat fingers on scaled portable devices... so much fun...

It is a step backwards if you value your established workflow and productivity.

THEY WILL NEVER FIX THIS....

and,..the wounds will never heal.