10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 2:21 PM by Harold Brunt

GD&T Basic Chamfer

Michael Ponte

I am new to GD&T and don't know all the details about it.  I am using a all around profile tolerance to tolerance the perimeter of a part.  I have chamfers on the part so I would assume that those dimensions would be basic.  From what I can tell Solidworks doesn't give me an option to make that dimension basic.

Should this dimension be basic?  Is there way to make the dimension basic in Solidworks?

• Re: GD&T Basic Chamfer
          Martin MacDonald

Are you referring to using DimXpert dimensioning? I believe in 2016 you can make a DimXpert dimension basic.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Since the chamfer is held to the profile tolerance, I believe BASIC is required.

The chamfer dimensions define the nominal and the profile defines the form limits from there.

The chamfer's length and angle will "float" to any combination that lies within the profile.

Ponder this: If you did apply an tolerance (ie non-BASIC) to the chamfer, the angle for example, the profile would be applied to what?

Max or min angle? These are already limited by the profile envelope. They're not additive to the profile tolerance.

Cheers,

Kevin

Edit: I just tried to create a BASIC chamfer dim in SW2015, but it's not available, only symmetrical & bilateral.

My GD&T std isn't with me right now, but I believe BASIC is correct.

If this is indeed so, then you can add "BASIC" after the chamfer's <DIM>.

Richard Ashley

There is a way to get the angle to be BASIC, but I have not found a way to do this using an arrow to point to the actual edge of the chamfer.  Dimension the width of the chamfer, override the dimension and change it to 45° with BASIC.  Then add the actual dimension to the beginning of the dimension.  It will look like this:

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If you're going to go this route, then I suggest you use two separate dimension entities to replicate what you've shown.

One linear dim for the width and the other, an angular dim changed to BASIC.

This way, since there is no hard-coded text embedded in the dims, all model changes will update the drawing.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tony Cantrell

You can put in an empty note using border and box and place it on the dim.

Harold Brunt

I'm not aware that the chamfer dimension would be required to be a basic dimension. The part is defined by the overall dimension and the tolerance is controlled by the all around profile callout. The chamfer cannot cause the overall size to deviate from the tolerance: certainly it can't make it bigger and the tolerance would need to be larger than the tolerance of the chamfer plus the dimension of the chamfer on the small side. Not sure if that's clear but the point being that the two are separate features with the chamfer being controlled by the default unless you want a tighter tolerance.