58 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 8:06 PM by Umberto Zanola

SP2, THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY

Chris Clouser

I just finally got it installed!   PHEW!

Wouldn't install from the update option using the Installation manager.

Had to download a 10gig zip file from HawkRidge.  Unzip it and about an hour or so later it wants to reboot before installing.  finally got it installed.

Then at home, the same file wanted me it put in SWX Disc #1.  Did it, nothing.  Try a couple more times, no install.  Go back and try the check for updates and download with the installation manager...works this time!?

Anyways,

Let us know what you're experiencing with SP2, and any options to help the interface look better......

• Re: SP2, THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
          Chris Saller

I downloaded SP2.0, ran install. Approx 1 hour later, it asked for reboot, works good.

Bob Van Dick

Chris,

I did a download and install from the SolidWorks portal, no problem....

Bob

P.S. Not that I'm using 2016 yet, just wanted to see if it would download......

Chris Scarlett

Have the "Pleasantville" style black and white icons been replaced with this service pack?

Mark Stegall

I downloaded the full image (11GB) and placed it in a share to be able to update various clients and servers. The download went fine.  The share directory needed to have security privileges added for all "authenticated users" to the share folder in order to install from the share folder without an error.  Normally our administrative shares for updates are limited to only the admin accounts.  But that fails because the installer seems to be accessing the share folder without the admin login account credentials with which the program was executed from.

I updated our PDM Standard installation on the servers.  Upgraded the vault database using the upgrade program without issue.  Upgraded our clients without issue.  At least one of the bugs that we were having problems with causing the SW2016 to crash when we created a drawing file from an assembly file using our templates files was fixed.  So far so good.

Dave Hoder

no problems installing here. I installed the Early Visbility sp2 when it was available and the download was pretty big but it installed fine. When the final release came out I just installed it using the update manager (or whatever it's called) and it only took a couple minutes.

Shane Kozlowski

I removed all traces of Dassault systemes from my computer and registry, only because I was hacked and whomever did it really destroyed my registry. I wasn't even able to install, uninstall, repair, or start up SW at all. After about 12 hours of remote help from my VAR and a completely Dassault free computer I reinstalled successfully. The SW2015 folder came back for some reason and all of my bend tables and such are in there, well since my old bend tables where customized and now don't exist I can't add new sheetmetal into any of my old multibody parts. It says it can't find the base bend table in C:/program files/solidworks corp/... (probably my old location associated with the older part) when I have clearly set all default locations to the correct folder on my E:/ drive. I have sent this to my VAR and they are trying to get it handled. I created the missing directory and put a copy of my tables there as a temporary workaround. Otherwise I haven't had any crashing, and I'm working pretty diligently today, getting a lot done. Hopefully SW has a simple soloution to my bend table issue.

Chris Clouser

Crashed only once yesterday, but didn't use SWX much.

Jeff Mirisola

Downloaded and installed the admin image for SP2 yesterday with no issues. Installed onto clients as well, again with no issues.

Paul Salvador

fyi,.. to let you know,.. my install was different.. more different than any I have ever seen since ~1998... it requested I disable 3 windows services.. with one being my Bluetooth?

Very odd.

Michel Ketterle

Most of our customer got an Error if they try to upgrade Solidworks from Help menu. At the end Solidworks was not installed and whil try to open solidworks then it not work beacuse there is a mix between SP1 and SP2. It only works if they do a full download first.

Mark Dalley

Mine wouldn't install from the installation manager - but then nor would SP1. Installation manager kept telling me to do a manual download, but gave me no option at all to actually do it. I ended up removing SW2016 from my machine completely and starting again from the disc. I tried the option to go straight to SP2. It wouldn't download but it did give me the link to download manually. I did this three times and each time it said the files had not downloaded correctly. Gave up and installed SP0 from the disc. Two hours loast and back to square 1. However this time the background downloader worked successfully, and installation manager worked and I am now at SP2. It hasn't fixed the issues I was having but it least it mostly works. Can't get on with the 50 shades of grey on a grey background user interface but that's another story. I have been using SW for almost 16 years and this is the most troublesome version I have ever known. Can I have 2015 back please?

Cole Benjamin

Just installed SP2 through the portal. No issues thus far. I see no difference in the icons though.

John Bell

Background downloader said that 2016.SP2 downloaded. Click on install and SLDIM needed to download a further 2.5GB. Currently installing, but it has gone from 56% to 58% in the last hour.

Brian Stranyak

The download and installation of SP2 went flawless for me and my fellow engineers. No issues. The install took about 20 minutes.

Mark Biasotti

downloaded Admin image to our server and upgraded mine no problem.

Mark

Alex Chitiu

I haver installed SW2016 SP2 on several machines almost easily.  On one computer though I want to change settings for the Toolbox and it won't let me go back to the main installation manager screen.  Add this to the list of problems.

Steve Calvert

Chris, it sure seems you're the only one with troubles...

Alex Chitiu

Nononononoooo Steve!

I too have moaned .  I too have a problem, do not invalidate my experience (tantrum). 

Chris Clouser

Steve Calvert wrote:

Chris, it sure seems you're the only one with troubles...

Steve, maybe all these people are confused as well...

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/107506?start=360&tstart=0

Steve Calvert

Chris, it would seem that you are having troubles.  You've had troubles with the look and feel of SW2016 - and told everyone.  You've had troubles with the installation - and told every one.  You've had troubles with the SP2 - and told everyone.

We all get that this release has had some issues....

Chris Clouser

Steve,

Thanks for the summary.  I don't come to the forum to chit chat, as perhaps you do.

You seem to not like the fact that I'm complaining.  Your solution to that is to complain?  HMMM?

If you don't like my posts, feel free to IGNORE them or become a moderator so you can DELETE them.

Your profile says you are an engineer.  If so, then you should be smart enough to understand that if nobody reports problems nothing will get fixed.

My warnings have saved many people unnecessary grief.  Giving them my complaints allows them to make an educated decision before installing 2016.

I sure wish somebody would have alerted me to all these complications I'm having so I could have made a better decision.

I'm willing to bet that you don't pay even a DOLLAR out of your own pocket for the SWX experience, so why don't you sit back and let us big boys fronting the bill take it from here.  I want what I paid for.

Vladimir Urazhdin

Chris, indeed you are doing great job to alert people and let us know what we will face after upgrading. In this forum reporting errors and unsolved issues must be very welcome. Thank you!

Steve Calvert

Chris, If you're a forum user since 2012 then you should have read or known not to jump right in and install a new version at SP0.  Now, you may be a small user (yes I work for a large company and I don't spend a red cent on anything SW related) and therefor can do these version jumps without too much concern.  If that's so, good for you but don't you think engaging your VAR first would be the better approach?

Chris Clouser

Thanks Steve, but I don't need your advice.

I did NOT install at SP0, thank you very much.

I did install at SP1, at which point the software had been through:

-Alpha

-Beta

-Official Release

-One User-Driven Service Pack

You would think that by that point, I would have something that works.  I assumed at this point I would have issues, because there are always small issues that don't stop you dead in your tracks.  I did not assume that after an official release and a service pack that I would have MAJOR issues.

Many people say install after SP2.  OK, I'm on SP2 and now I have found files that WON'T open!!

At what point do you wake up and start demanding excellence from your software provider?

Steve Calvert

Actually, I'd think it should be pretty damn stable at SP0 but have come to know that's never been 100% the case, so I'm on your bandwagon about the stability or lack of stability I just choose to not air the frustration in a forum.  I would love and most would agree that maybe once a year updates isn't the answer.  Hell, we've been saying that here for years but SW still goes on and releases a new one each year.

So, I guess I can be a little hard on people like yourself who have taken it upon themselves to warn others of their problems with the software but all I offered was a different method or approach to doing it.

Walter Chapman

I have had two ever different experiences with 2016 pk2.

I have a very difficult time on a new network machine getting the file down.  The downloader would not work.  I tried 4 times and call my reseller before I got the downloader to work.  Installation was okay.

At had not problem at home on my machine updating from 2015 pk4.

BTW->2016 pk2 seems somewhat buggy.  I have had some assembly issue for old file,  and  some color display issues.

Walt Chapman

Chris Clouser

Walter, I think you may be mistaken because according to the genius, Steve Calvert, above, only I am having problems and that I need to basically shut up.

Be careful, because he may tell you to shut up as well.

Anyways, I'm sorry you are having problems.  I tried to explain above that I had similar problems and had to install several different ways on several machines!!??  I'm responsible for 7 installations, so it was weird that some worked one way and some worked another.

Was there something special you had to do to get it to work?  Others that show up here might be interested if they have a similar experience.

Steve Calvert

Chris, I don't think you need to shut up at all and have never said that.  I do think you need to be more constructive, like giving us details on how it happened, what you were doing, ETC.  Having problems isn't something new to us SW users, we seem to have many problems but how we deal with them makes the difference.

For instance, you've hated (along with others) almost the entire interface of SW2016, so much so you felt it necessary to change your avatar to something 'anti2016icon'.  It was funny... BUT, what good came from it was that some of us, me included, didn't understand what some of the problems were, like contrast levels causing headaches.  This was good information.  Just hating on the color change isn't good.

Chris Clouser

FYI, I did point out many specifics about my dislike of the interface change.  Post after post.  Very long posts about how commands were moved, changed, how the new colors don't attract the eye and help with the subconscious usability of the interface.  And much more.

I'm being falsely attacked from every side on this forum.  I guess that's to be expected, as there is no IQ test to post here.

If you have honest criticism about me, GREAT!  I can take it.  But I'm getting exhausted at defending false allegations and having my character maligned.

for instance, some people have said I hate SolidWorks because I've given some negative feedback.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  I think most people on this forum must be crappy engineers in that case, because the best of the best engineers focus on flaws.  If something is correct, you don't waste an ounce of energy on it.  But a good engineer will not abide imperfection.

And to malign me by saying I hate SolidWorks when I've had their back for going on two decades is slander and libel.  I've advised numerous clients to purchase SolidWorks.  I have my on seat of SolidWorks.  It teach school kids SolidWorks.  I've found an untold number of bugs over the years, submitted dozen upon dozens of enhancement requests (many of which you use not knowing that it was my idea), and am fairly involved in my local SWX community.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that SolidWorks has very few people who support them more than I do.

But that doesn't mean I have to accept crap from them.  If I'm writing a check for something and if I'm relying on their product to earn a living, and if I've invested millions of dollars in engineering time wrapped up in SWX files, I've got a lot on the line.  I have the right to say something, especially if they've made my job harder.

Please go back through the interface post and see all the constructive criticism I have given on the topic, at least you will see some of which hasn't been deleted yet.  And if all I did was hate the color change, that's fine as well.  I have to stare at it all day and I have the right to say something.

How about you focus on being constructive as well, and get your focus off of me.  Let's let the moderators decide what is appropriate for me to say or not say.

Michel Ketterle

Had a strange Situation. After full-download the Installation breaks with the Error message that the file rubber.cab in /swwi/data is missing.

A restart of full-download was not able to detect the missing file.

Alex Chitiu

This is really my BIGGEST PROBLEM with SolidWorks:

They waste lots of resources on nearly useless glitzy polishes (features hardly ever used or even noticed by users), that help me save 13.798 minutes a day and don't appear to invest in reliability and stability.  When an install fails one loses 10 to 20 minutes or even more, depending on the stubbornness of the error.  When SW crashes 8 times (and I have actually had that, if not more) during one day, it not only pisses me off no end (Onshape can't wait!), but it also makes me waste 10 times as much as I gained with their glitz.  And I AM using hardware approved by the SW requirements web page.  I am seriously looking in direction Onshape, really now.

Not that Inventor would be any better (I have not touched CATIA or ProE/ Creo for a long time), but I wonder if we as users could actually drive the trend towars what really matters (stability in my case), rather than glamorous flashy finishings.  SW claim that they listen, yet given my experience I wonder ...

Alex

Alex Chitiu

My experience was not that dramatic, but SW was fickle.  It would give one error on some machines one evening, I would give up, try next morning and the error was gone without really changing anything.  Unsatisfactory stability/ consistency/ repeatability.

Chris Clouser

This post isn't just for complaining, or for complaining about me.

I'd like to hear the positives as well.

For instance, it appears that drawing sizes are greatly reduced.  I had one drawing that was 28 meg and now it's 8 meg.  Part files seem to remain unchanged in size.

Regarding the interface and icons, I think that this really shows a nice set of icons (from the task scheduler), I don't know if it was unchanged from last version or not:

icons.JPG

Alex Chitiu

What SW don't seem to know is that mechanical design is very much a field for consistent people, who rationally accept changes when they are useful.  I find the new icons a waste of time because:

- no change was necessary at all

- we had the old icons at reflex level in our brains

- we need to learn the new icons → unnecessary waste of productivity

- the (much) more muted colours have less contrast → take more effort (miliseconds of concentration each time) → are more tiring to use

All in all I find the new set of icons a BAD idea on grounds of:

- necssity - lack thereof

- ergonomy - worse.

I love changes where they genuinely improve things, not when they are merely fanciful or even conter-productive like these new icons.  But this happens everywhere, as fat cats with big ego and little understanding feel they must throw their weight around to bask in the limelight and consequently demand salary increases, no matter of the consequences others have to bear. 

Such is life, carry on ...

Alex Chitiu

I have just had my first crash in SW2016 SP2.  So much for stability.

Does anyone in the development mist of SW actually have the mental capacity to understand that stability must come before frills?

Does anyone actually listen at all?

Greg Hynd

Alex,

How long have you been running 2016?

Steve Calvert

Alex, we all crash.  It isn't new and it probably won't go away.  It's how we deal with it that makes things happen.

I crashed yesterday, twice.  It's a bitch but I didn't lose any data.  I lost some time but I needed to do a windows update anyway so it didn't totally kill my day/hour.

Let's look at the problems you've sighted...

- no change was necessary at all  The change was to go towards larger 4K+ monitors so that the icons would scale better

- we had the old icons at reflex level in our brains  Yes and you'll adapt

- we need to learn the new icons → unnecessary waste of productivity  Yes and you'll adapt AND the software has changed the way it does modeling.  For instance, it may take less clicks to do certain things.  You may not need as many toolbars showing.  I know with each release I use, the shear number of toolbars is decreased because of the software changes

- the (much) more muted colours have less contrast → take more effort (miliseconds of concentration each time) → are more tiring to use  I don't use 2016 and from what I've read but this was just like (for me anyway) the change over to larger screens - it took time for me to adapt to the higher resolution screens and working with much smaller icons

All in all I find the new set of icons a BAD idea on grounds of:

- necssity - lack thereof  See above

- ergonomy - worse  Perhaps we all need to look at how we model.  Maybe there's a better way...

From an old fart like myself, I see all the changes and ask myself if it really needed.  My answer usually is, YES, and I better adapt or someone else will come along and do my job.

I know the SW developers come here and ask questions but they also come here to learn.  If the public doesn't want something or wants something the developers know about it and usually act.

Steve C

Alex Chitiu

- The change was to go towards larger 4K+ monitors so that the icons would scale better

Adapting to higher resolution screens has nothing to do with the colours and shape of the new icons.  It's all change for change's sake.  They could have changed only the pixelation.

- Yes and you'll adapt

Of course I will adapt by making an unnecessary effort.

- Yes and you'll adapt AND the software has changed the way it does modeling.  For instance, it may take less clicks to do certain things.  You may not need as many toolbars showing.  I know with each release I use, the shear number of toolbars is decreased because of the software changes

You are mixing here the useful, production enhancing progressive changes (i love them) with the useless boss ego driven changes for change's sake.  I can filter the ones from the others.

- I don't use 2016 and from what I've read but this was just like (for me anyway) the change over to larger screens - it took time for me to adapt to the higher resolution screens and working with much smaller icons

You may understand what I am talking about once you actually have to use the faded graphics of the new icons.

- necssity - lack thereof  See above

Try to discern between useful/  necessary/ progressive changes (I am all for them) and wasteful fluff.  What next?  Pink icons?

- ergonomy - worse  Perhaps we all need to look at how we model.  Maybe there's a better way...

I don't really get the message here.  There is always a better way, we all need to continuously progress.  But in order to progress we need to reject changes that don't contribute to or even detract from genuine progress.  Progress in general is hardly ever linear because of fluff (in this case) or darker agendas (most visible in politics), which is why I am opposing them. 

I WANT changes, but only those who help me progress.  Only these are worth my effort to adapt.  Adapting to wasteful changes is wasting myself.