11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 9:43 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

CHANGE ORIENTATION OF VIEW PALETTE

Kyle Poplar

HI SolidWorks forums,

I created an assembly drawing, the view palette allowed me to select from the usual 90 degree orientated views, drag and dropped it on to the sheet, no big deal. I went back tweaked some constraints, added a part on said assembly and upon my return to the drawing I saw that the views were now all cock eyed off at an odd angle throwing off all my section views....-_- I went back to the 3D assembly to investigate what happened -_^ and noticed that if I were to grab the assembly by one of its large parts and drag it across the screen it would turn slowly on an axis. lo-in-behold this is what threw off my view palette... now I'm stuck dragging my assembly across the screen in one direction sending it off into the depths of infinite virtual space trying to have it slowly list back to a 90 degree orientation.

There has to be a better way to correct this help please

• Re: CHANGE ORIENTATION OF VIEW PALETTE
          Glenn Schroeder

It sounds to me like your Assembly isn't located in space relative to it's origin.  Do your components have ( - ) in front of the names in the tree?

Kyle Poplar

Correction sorry i marked may last response correct ill see how to un do it I can mate parts with planes but it does not do anything from what i can see

Jason Edelman

I know you are having matting challenges, we all do... most of the time.

But could it be, you have perspective view on?

Best, Jason

Jim Steinmeyer

Kyle,

The first thing you are going to need to do is get your mates working as Glenn suggested. Until you do your assembly will move around no matter how much you adjust the orientation on the drawing. With the part that has the (f) in front of it I would suggest you float it

Untitled.png

(f) Stands for Fixed and it may not be fixed in the location you desire. All the other parts could be mated to it as Glenn suggests but you seem to be having trouble there. It doesn't make sense but I have had problems in the past with a part that has been fixed. Once you float the part you can then mate it to the coordinate system as suggested. This "may" solve your issue. Then once the parts are correctly mated you should be able to set the views as you desire.

Kyle Poplar

Thanks for this info, I will keep this is mind and use it when I come across the problem again. I just ended up doing some precise mouse rotational work. ha

Jim Steinmeyer

When you create an assembly SW automatically Fixes the first component. If you select the component in the menu bar and just select OK it will drop it origin to origin. If that is where you want it fine, but if you want something else on the origin, or if you drag the component  on to the screen and drop it so it is not origin to origin it can cause problems. You can also place additional components on the screen, drag them to where you want them and fix them without any mates.

I personally dislike fixed items so I float every item including the first one. Then if locate my parts using the planes. To me this makes it easier to tweak things if need be later.