9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 1:50 PM by Doug Bebb

SolidWorks PDM Client and Service packs

Brian Titus

I just got bit by the latest service pack release.  Updated my SolidWorks to 2016 SP2 and it automatically updates my PDM professional client to SP2 as well.

Now lo and behold, I cannot connect to the 2016 SP1.0 PDM server because the versions are now incompatible...

Unfortunately, upgrading the server is no easy task here.

Service packs should prompt you IF you want to upgrade and or give a strong warning before upgrading....

• Re: SolidWorks PDM Client and Service packs
          Faur Arama

Hello,

I also installed updates to SW 2016 and there is a strong warning about updating the PDMP client.

Michael Dekoning

When EPDM was a separate product this was not an issue. Sorry this bit you but thanks for the heads up.

Doug Bebb

What was the symptom?  Could you see the vault or just the broadcast from the server on port 3030?

I am probably going to have the same problem with one of my clients who just jumped the gun and upgraded their server to PDM Pro 2016 Sp1.0.  I never bother with early service packs and usually wait until at least SP3 before jumping years.

I can't believe that SW would be stupid enough to publish incompatible PDM clients in the same product year.  If so, is it possible to run multiple PDM clients on one machine?  Otherwise it might be necessary to maintain multiple discrete SW installations for every PDM you want to connect with.  Any other ideas?

Prasad Bhonsule

The problem is that Solidworks just assumes that users have upgraded the server first before upgrading the clients. You can always choose not to upgrade the PDM client in the Installation manager, but you do have to know to look for it.

Doug Bebb

Is there some way to downgrade the client from 2016 SP2 to 2016 SP1, while still running 2016 SP2?

Prasad Bhonsule

Hello Doug, while you can't downgrade as such. You could uninstall the client, and then just install the client from SP1 as needed.

If you look in the installation files that you download, there is a folder call swpdmclient you can run the setup in there to just install the client.

Kind regards,

Prasad Bhonsule

Doug Bebb

Prasad,

Thank you for your attempt to help.  Unfortunately, eliminating the SP2 client from my workstation will probably prevent me from accessing my own data, which lives on a PDM Standard 2016 SP2 installation.  Frankly, I find this backward incompatibility of PDM Clients to be ridiculous.  While It might be reasonable for an SP1 Client to be unable to access SP2 PDM data, but the reverse is simply poor software design.  The idiots on the SW PDM design team who did this should all be fired.

Doug Bebb

Furthermore, the design team clearly does not understand MS SQLServer.  Rather than putting all of the metadata into the SQLServer database itself where it belongs, these retards wrote some of it into registry keys.  The result of this lunacy is that if you use SQLServer tools to drop (and possibly) restore the vault database, SW PDM looks to the registry keys and thinks that the vault is still present, even after it is long gone.  This might have been acceptable if all of the database administration could be performed using the SW PDM Administrator.  But backup and restore are not supported there.  The result is that you need to use both SQL tools AND the PDM Administrator in a coordinated fashion to backup and restore vaults.  And if you get the sequence wrong you can create a big mess in short order.