12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 6:10 PM by Scott Ellery

Change Transparency Is Broken In SW's 2016

William Gutenberger

The UI discussion is huge, I think this issue has been lost in the sauce there.

With SW's 2016 it is no longer possible to tell if a part is transparent by looking at the design tree.

This is a huge regression in the software.  For instance, I just wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out what part in an assembly I was given was the transparent one.

Instead of scrolling the design tree to easily find the part and make it non-transparent, I had to hide a bunch of parts, from several different sub-assemblies, zoom in, rotate around until I found a view where I could click only on the transparent part, make it visible, then scroll the design tree to refind the parts I'd hidden.  Since I forgot one of the names, I unhid some parts I wanted hidden, so had to rehide them.  Eventually, I had the right parts visible, and the right parts hidden.

This took a good deal of time, and totally blew my design frame of mind, thus I'm typing this useless post, instead of finishing the design.  Hopefully, my thought train will come back.

Why on earth is something that was so SIMPLE, now removed from the software?

PLEASE REPLACE THIS ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONALITY ASAP.

Thanks

• Re: Change Transparency Is Broken In SW's 2016
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi William,

SOLIDWORKS has never shown a different icon for a transparent component directly in the regular tree list so this is not a regression.

Here is a picture of a tree with two transparent components and one visible one in 2015:

TransparentComponents.png

But here are some ways that you can easily find transparent components:

• Expand the Display Pane by clicking the > at the top right of the FeatureManager design tree. The right hand column represents whether the component is transparent or not and you can turn the transparency on/off by just clicking in that column for the row representing the component. Here is a picture of SOLIDWORKS 2015 with it expanded to show that this is the way it was done in 2015 (and is still the same in 2016). However, the next method is a "more efficient" way of doing it since you don't have to care where it is in the tree.
            DisplayPane.png
          • Select the transparent component in the graphics area and change the transparency from the context toolbar that pops up. I notice that you said you had to rotate the view around, etc. until you could select on the transparent component. If you mean that when you try to select the transparent component, it selects through the transparent face and selects something behind it, you can override this behavior by simply holding the shift key. By default, transparent faces don't select if there is an opaque item behind the transparent face and holding the shift key allows you to select transparent faces. This behavior is controlled by Tools, Options, System Options, Display/Selection, Enable selection through transparency. If you disable this option, then the behavior reversed (you can select transparent faces without holding a key and holding the shift key then selects through the transparent faces).
          • When you select the component and the "Scroll selected item into view" option is turned on in Tools, Options, System Options, FeatureManager (which it is by default), then the component will scroll into view and highlight in the tree and you can manipulate it from there (although, most users just do this all from the graphics area since it is just easier to pick it visually than by finding it in the tree).

If I am missing something and you are talking about something else, please clarify.

I hope this helps,

Jim

William Gutenberger

Great tips, thank you much.

I never knew about the shift key option, nor do I ever expand the design tree as you suggested.

I split SW's acrost 2 monitor, so when I expand the design pane some of it is hidden, but it's great to know this is there.

As for there being no visible difference in the design pane when something is transparent, that's how I've found these items for years. 

I wish I had SW's 2015 to compare with, but I know it was possible, because it's the ONLY way I ever did it before.  I could tell at a glance what items were visible, suppressed, or transparent.  Perhaps I had something checked under options, that isn't checked under your options.

Just looked through options on SW's 2016 and couldn't find anything.

Thanks again for the tips.

Glenn Schroeder

William Gutenberger wrote:

As for there being no visible difference in the design pane when something is transparent, that's how I've found these items for years.

I wish I had SW's 2015 to compare with, but I know it was possible, because it's the ONLY way I ever did it before. I could tell at a glance what items were visible, suppressed, or transparent. Perhaps I had something checked under options, that isn't checked under your options.

Just looked through options on SW's 2016 and couldn't find anything.

William,

See below from SW2015.  As you can see, the first component is transparent, but there is nothing to indicate that with the icon in the tree.    You're right about the icons changing if the component is suppressed or hidden, but I don't believe there has ever been an icon change to indicate transparency.  And I'm about 99.99% sure there aren't any settings that control the appearance of icons in the tree.

Jim Wilkinson

William Gutenberger wrote:

I wish I had SW's 2015 to compare with, but I know it was possible, because it's the ONLY way I ever did it before. I could tell at a glance what items were visible, suppressed, or transparent. Perhaps I had something checked under options, that isn't checked under your options.

Hi William,

I'm very curious on this. I've been working at SOLIDWORKS since we released our first release (just had my 20th anniversary) so I can tell you with 100% certainty that we never had this ability or any option to enable such an ability. Perhaps you are confusing it with something else like lightweight components which do show a different icon?

Thanks,

Jim

Craig Schultz

transparent vs "regular" has always looked the same unless you did the fly out tree.

You could easily tell suppressed vs hidden vs transparent/regular in 2015 and earlier.

654.png

Hopefully they are fixing the colors in SP2 (delayed compared to previous release patterns) or SP2.1/SP3 is a quick turn around to give us the "old school" options.  I'm not beating the dead horse, I think the horse is officially in glue status on the other thread.  I have faith we will see a correction soon.

William Gutenberger

Sorry, guess I was smoking something (which wasn't any fun at all/DON'T DO DRUGS).

I could have sworn you could see this in the tree icons.

There was never a version where the eyeglasses got put on the icon in the tree or something, similar to the lightweight feather?

I'd love to go back to SW's 2015 and play around to see what I was talking about.  Heck, I'd love to go back to SW's 2015 permanently.

On the other side, this would be a GREAT enhancement, since it aparently has never existed before.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Glenn Schroeder

You can tell which components are set to transparent from the tree.

Scott Ellery

Hi William ,

as a quick tip you can also quickly see what parts are hidden in an assembly by right clicking and SHOW HIDDEN COMPONENTS

showhidden.png