22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 8:34 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Backward Compatibility

Peter Cohen

Hello, I have SW Student Edition 2014-2015. I got a SW Education Trial Academic Year 2015-16 and used it to modify some of the files I made using SW SE 2014-2015. Now that the trial period has ended, will there be compatibility issue if I try to use the files modified using 2015-2016 on 2014-2015?

• Re: Backward Compatibility
          Artem Taturevych

Hello,

If I'm not mistaken 2014-2015 student edition corresponds to SW2015 and 2015-2016 - SW 2016. If so the files saved in the newer versions cannot be opened in the older version of SolidWorks (this is called forward compatibility). Please read this discussion. It explains forward/backward compatibility and the ways to achieve limited forward compatibility: Forward/Backward Compatibility

Thanks,

Artem

Tony Cantrell

Solidworks or any other solid modeling packages are not backward compatible, if you have the academic version it aleays runs one year behind the industrial version. so 2014-2015 is actually 2014.

Larry Sickler

There is a sort of work around for this problem that I have used for translating files from 2015 to at least 2006.  Save the file as a parasolid in 2015.  Then open the parasolid file in the older SW software.  It will rebuild the file and generally the features are recognized in the older version (this seems to work best in pre2010 versions of SW).  SW versions earlier than 2010 had functionality that is no longer available.  I routinely take files back to 2006 so I can use that functionality and then bring them back to later versions.  The problem is particularly acute when doing rotational replication.  Newer than 2010 versions crap out with some type of zero division error.  (I vaguely remember some brouhaha back in 2010 about SW having to change the math kernel on which the platform was built.)  Anyway, that's my suggestion.  Use at your own risk.

By the way this limitation cost the company for which I work, HUGE amounts of time and money when our supplier updated his version of SW before we did.  Before we were made aware of his change, we imported their updated files (which were named the same as the older files) and crashed a bunch of our models - especially the mates in assemblies.  We updated our SW in the hopes that the problem would smoothly go away - it didn't.  We had to open hundreds of models and reestablish mates.

Wolfgang Feltl

Hello,

there is an option implementend since SWX 2013 (2012 SP5).

What can it do. SP5 of a previous Version can open files of the next release.

e.g. SWX 2012 SP5 can open SWX 2013 files. (parts and assemblies).

What will you get.

part: NO FEATURES - you are not able to edit the part.

assy: structure, NO ability to Change / add / delete mates.

You can create mates to "new Version files" within your previous release.

You can also convert entities to sketches which will be updated. You also can create bill of material tables.

Why this limitations? Who would update if ALL would work? :-)

What is it good for? Big companies could roll out a new Version step by step.

For further Information look in th SWX help. (there is a Change from SWX 2014 to 2015)

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_assemblies_previous_release.htm?id=a107806e2a504efab48c6e795ed373cb#Pg0&ProductType=&ProductName=

Greetings from Austria,

Wolfgang

Peter Cohen

Thanks Wolfgang but I want to be able to edit the parts as well.

Let's see if anybody knows a way to find out under which version of SW was any specify file created.

Wolfgang Feltl

Hello Peter,

if you want to know the Version of the SWX file - last saved - use this macro.

-----------

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
                      Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
                      Dim fpath As String
                      Dim swxver As Variant
                      Dim sign1, sign2 As String
                      Dim part1 As String

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                      Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc
                      fpath = swModel.GetPathName()
                      swxver = swApp.VersionHistory(fpath)
                      sign1 = InStr(swxver(UBound(swxver)), "[")
                      sign2 = InStr(swxver(UBound(swxver)), "/")
                      part1 = Mid(swxver(UBound(swxver)), sign1 + 1, sign2 - sign1 - 1)

MsgBox "LAST saved with SolidWORKS Version " & part1 & vbCrLf & "CREATED with SolidWorks Version " & swxver(0)

End Sub

-------

Just Copy / Paste in SWX macro - enjoy.

Greetings,

Wolfgang

Peter Cohen

Thank you Wolfgang. What is SWX macro? Any descriptions on how to use it?

Wolfgang Feltl

Hello Peter,

with a macro you can control SWX via the API (application programming Interface) and Visual Basic or other programming Interfaces.

So you can automate jobs e.g. create Export formats (PDF, DXF, STEP,..) just with one button click.

Go to TOOLS -> MACRO -> NEW

Select the Name and directory of the macro e.g. "SWX Version.swp".

The Editor starts - and normally you have this program lines in it.

---

Dim swApp As Object
                              Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                              End Sub

---

Delete all of them and paste the code from above. (Separating lines will occour automatically)

Save the file. Close the Editor.

For the next step a document has to be open - just an empty one is OK.

Right click somewhere in the command Manager and select CUSTOMIZE (near the end of field)

New window opens -> select COMMANDS and from categories MACRO. On the right side there will be shown 6 Icons.

Drag and drop the Icon "New Macro Button" anywhere in the command Manager.

At the new Dialog box select the macro file saved before -> OK. Close CUSTOMIZE menu.

Every time you click the NEW button the macro code is executed an will you show the SWX Version in

which the file was saved at last.

The second line of the Dialog box will Show in which version the file was created -> not allways correct depends

on the template which was used for creating the file.

Greetings,

Wolfgang

J. Mather

Peter Cohen wrote:

Thanks Wolfgang but I want to be able to edit the parts as well...

Of course you can edit the parts.

All of the standard tools still work - you just won't have a feature history tree (unless you run Feature Recognition).

Are all of your parts all completely wrong that would require everything to be corrected - or only certain features require editing?