17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2017 4:21 PM by Alex Lachance

Do not save tessellation with part

Andy Abate

Hi all,

I am trying to reduce my Solidworks footprint on my hard drive, and I have found that (basically content-less) assembly files take up a lot of space. I have searched around and found that this is because Solidworks saves tessellation data along with the files. How do I turn this feature off? I do not care about previews or viewing in eDrawings or anything else, I just want solidworks not to bloat my drive with redundant or useless data.

In "Image Quality" under document properties, there is a checkbox to "save tessellation with part document", but it is grayed-out...

Thanks for the help!

• Re: Do not save tessellation with part
          Alin Vargatu

Just to clarify: you will still save the tesselation for the part files, correct?

The setting you mentioned applies only to parts, not assemblies.

Colt Carson

Did you find a solution for this? Is there a registry hack to completely disable this functionality?

We were experiencing slow load and saving times and as a fix we used the attached macro to modify the image quality of all open parts to a preset value. Hopefully it helps someone else out.

Alin Vargatu

Colt Carson wrote:

Did you find a solution for this? Is there a registry hack to completely disable this functionality?

We were experiencing slow load and saving times and as a fix we used the attached macro to modify the image quality of all open parts to a preset value. Hopefully it helps someone else out.

Colt, what is this macro doing? I tried it in SW 2018 and does not seem to work.

Colt Carson

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Colt, what is this macro doing? I tried it in SW 2018 and does not seem to work.

Alin, the macro loops over all parts and assemblies that are open in solidworks and changes their image quality setting to the value that you put in the 'quality' variable. It is equivalent to changing this setting for every open part.

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately this is not a system option so you will have to rerun the macro when a new assembly or components are loaded.

I developed it in 2017 sp5 so maybe they changed something. Try changing the value of 'quality' to a different number and see if the slider position changes after running the macro. Setting quality = 7 was good enough for me and in some cases reduced our assembly size to 1/3 the original size.