9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 4:28 PM by Scott Harvey

Why are the equations not deleted when I delete a feature/sketch/dimension?

Sarah Dwight

Why are the equations not deleted when I delete a feature/sketch/dimension?

I use equations all the time and when I delete the features that they belong to the equation doesn't get deleted which throws out errors.

Other times I delete a bunch of dimensions that used equations and then re-dimension the whole sketch and the equations are still there and related to a dimension to which it shouldn't be!

• Re: Why are the equations not deleted when I delete a feature/sketch/dimension?
          Scott Harvey

It's best if they are independent.  If you remove equations from your box by removing the dimension you can really screw up models.  You lose the syntax and if you save the file you might really get behind.

Comment 1.  Yes it can be frustrating when you delete dimensions that are equations that you know you will not use again.  The work flow is to open the equation editor and remove them.

Comment 2.  Why are you deleting all the dimensions just to add back new ones.  The equations are not set in stone. Highlight your dimension that has the equation = blah blah blah and just type over it.  It will remove the equation from your equation manager. You can do this in the sketch as well if you highlight over the equation.

• Re: Why are the equations not deleted when I delete a feature/sketch/dimension?
              Sarah Dwight

Response to Comment 2. Have you ever worked in someone else's part and gone 'WTF? Why would anyone dimension off that unimportant reference/edge/surface?? Gah.' and then deleted all of the dimensions to redimension to a more logical or driving dim. I have.

And maybe D7 used an equation while no others did so when you get to D7 it makes a 10mm line D2*4=20mm and your sketch blows up.

Or the equation was D7=D13/2 and there is no D13 yet. Ugh.

Yes I can just delete the equation as I dimension, but I don't feel I should have to.

Maybe I just want dim naming to work like sketches.

Every new sketch in a part gets a new sequential number no matter if the others exist or not.

So if I have drawn 3 sketches but deleted 2 my next would still be sketch4.

If I delete D1-D7 it starts with D1 again... why not D8?

It might be annoying to have dims function the same in a sketch (because you could add and delete over 100 times and D129 would just be annoying), but it would solve the equations reinserting themselves problem.

It just wouldn't solve the extraneous equations problem.

Scott Harvey

And maybe D7 used an equation while no others did so when you get to D7 it makes a 10mm line D2*4=20mm and your sketch blows up.

Change ( =D2*4 ) to 10mm [from your dimension dialog box].  Equation gets removed from your equation manager and you keep working.  You have to dimension anyways.  So your line moved to 20mm. When the dimension dialog box comes up its never exact.  Who cares if its 10.0002 or 20.  That line can river dance for all I care.  When you type 10 the equation is completely deleted to never return again.

Or the equation was D7=D13/2 and there is no D13 yet. Ugh.

Make the new equation in the dimension dialog box.  It will update.  Change D13 to D4 or whatever.

If you are trying to get that exact value from the equation you Ctrl + C on the dimension and Ctrl + V in the box overriding the equation.  It will turn it into a numerical value.

Does this make sense?  There are other workflows that are affected but I am going off your input.  Let me know if that helps.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Sarah,

I don't know why they aren't automatically deleted, but I also think they should be.  I've been asking for it for a while, and have submitted it for the Top Ten voting list for the last two years.  Maybe some day it will happen.

Glenn

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I think this issue was in the last round of Top Tens.

Don't know how well it did at the polls.

Be nice to have it as an option checkbox, but here we are.

Cheers,

Kevin

Mike Thompson

Hey Sarah, I agree. Super annoying. This was reported as SPR 693401 and was reported as fixed in 2016 SP1. Unfortunately the developer totally missed the mark. If you delete the dimension in an active sketch, the equation will also delete. But if you delete the sketch itself the equations (with error) remain. When I called on this they said the developer did exactly what the SPR said and that I'd have to write a new SPR to fix this issue (SPR 926843). Really lame, but it's what we have to deal with for now I guess.