83 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 7:29 AM by Karl Wooster

LOTS OF CRASHING IN 2016

Chris Clouser

...especially with Sim added in.

Wear your software helmets people!  Safety first!

Are the crash logs public?  It would be nice to see the analytics of crash rate between 2015 and 2016 as well as see just how many crashes are happening per day.  Also watching if there is a trend for the crashes to subside as service packs are released.  Does anyone at SolidWorks do this sort of analysis?

• Re: LOTS OF CRASHING IN 2016
          Chris Clouser

crashed twice more since the first post.

Chris Clouser

AND ANOTHER, ABOUT AN HOUR OF WORK LOST!

THANKS SOLIDWORKS!!

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Clouser wrote:

ABOUT AN HOUR OF WORK LOST!

Chris,

I sympathize with you, and I'm sure it's frustrating to have frequent crashes, but are you really working for an hour without saving?

Glenn

Chris Clouser

I was in a very complicated sketch.  I usually don't save unfinished sketches until I get out of them.

Glenn Schroeder

Chris,

I'm not trying to start a fight, so please don't take this the wrong way, but if a sketch is so complex that you work on it for an hour without finishing it that just might be causing a crash.  And if the sketch needs to be that complex what would be wrong with closing and saving every 10 or 15 minutes?  You can always return to it to edit it.

Glenn

Chris Clouser

If cars just randomly shut off, as my Suburban did once, and I had no brake pedal or steering because it was all hydraulically driven from the engine, if that were a regular occurrence, I can't imagine how many people would die.  Fortunately for me, I was only going down a 12 percent grade, towing a 9000 lb trailer, and there was a handy tree to use as a brake. 

Suburban totaled, due to:

"Expletive" engineering.

I think we have a similar situation here.  Why does the software just give up once it gets confused?  Do you know how many thousands of crashes and hundreds and hundreds of hours of lost productivity I've endured since I started using SWX?  I can imagine there are many others as well with similar stories.  Am I to believe there is no solution as SWX celebrates it's 20th anniversary?

When you are doing something complex, you become absorbed in it.  You're not thinking about saving.  You are trying to figure it out.  Saving will interrupt your stream of consciousness, just like this new interface interrupts it.

You may be involved in calculations that will drive sketch dimensions, so your sketch may sit there from time to time waiting for more input.  And an hour can go by pretty fast when you've got your notepad next to your computer and drawing free body diagrams and trying to figure out forces and linkage locations, etc.

So you naturally don't want to save the stuff that is leading you to a final solution.  There's probably some wacky stuff in there.  There is a natural time to save, and that's when you have completed something favorable.  You've finished a sketch, you've inserted and mated up a new component into an assembly.

We shouldn't have to be walking on eggshells to use this program.  We shouldn't be thinking that this could crash at any second and have to save after every operation.

The good news is that I haven't crashed yet today and I'm going to shut down before I do!

Harold Brunt

Hi Chris. I'm having significant stability issues as of late as well although it seems to be much more frequent when I have an add-in enabled. I am curious if disabling your add-in(s) makes SW any more stable for you?

Regarding the suggestions from Chris, I did the following:

did you completely uninstall SolidWorks 2015 before installing SW2016? Yes. More than once actually.

did you use copy settings wizard? (you should not do this between versions of the software) Yes, and no depending on which iteration of re-installation.

are your Graphics drivers up to date? (check out SolidWorks RX > Diagnostics) Yes. Also checked and updated the 3D Connection driver.

did you try resetting your registry to see if it fixes the issue Yes, this too was done more than once.

I have also followed the SW support instructions regarding Windows update KB3072630:

SOLIDWORKS

I'm certainly open to suggestions....

Harold

Jim Oberg

are you kidding me??? why should we have to save at any interval? This software should be stable enough to not crash on a repeated basis. I can have Autocad open for a week without crashing. Since SW2011 I could never go that long without crashing! And it just keeps getting worse with each new release.

Glenn Schroeder

Jim Oberg wrote:

are you kidding me??? why should we have to save at any interval? This software should be stable enough to not crash on a repeated basis. I can have Autocad open for a week without crashing. Since SW2011 I could never go that long without crashing! And it just keeps getting worse with each new release.

No, I'm not kidding you.  I wouldn't work in MS Word for an hour without saving, and certainly not in SolidWorks.  Especially if I was having problems with frequent crashes.

Jerry Cross

can someone answer this one question, why do we have to save manually when we have auto save. I've set it to save every 10 minutes, and when it crashes, not if. it doesn't have work I've done for over a half an hour I'm wondering if its a windows permission thing not allowing it without even letting me know it couldn't.

dell z420 win 7 64bit  16gb ram, fire pro v4900

Glenn Schroeder

I have mine set to save the auto-recover information every 10 minutes, but I don't depend on it (except to fill out my time sheet at the end of the month).

I also have the save notification set to show me a reminder if a document hasn't been saved for 10 minutes.  I usually save before it shows up, but when it does I stop and save.  That way I never lose more than 10 minutes work, and usually less, on the rare occasions that I have a crash.

Kevin Timmins

AutoCAD!? That was funny. I do agree with the crashing though for 2016. I have questioned crashes in the past. (started with 1998) It's just part of the software, almost any software. I will quote a person who most respect in the SW world "It's only 15 Million lines of code."

Karl Wooster

Are you really going to compare what AutoCAD does with SOLIDWORKS? Also, as the first responder said, any college student knows that you don't blame the software when you lose your homework. I don't care what program it is, your OS or hard drive could fail at any moment. Save frequently. I've gone so far as to program a button on my mouse to CTRL+S so I can just hit that.

I also have to wonder about a sketch that takes an hour of continuous editing. I won't pretend that I know what you do on a daily basis, but in general, simple sketches make better parts. Not just for stability, but also for future editing. If I open up a part and it is one extrude feature with a million entities in the sketch, I get an instant headache. Again, I don't know what Chris does, so it might be justified, but that's my best practice.

Lastly, Pro/E was never any better about this. As a matter of fact, depending on your settings, it will force you to fix all of your errors before you can save. Lost hours of work that way when I got my first job. And this is the software that I keep hearing is "high-end" relative to SOLIDWORKS. Comparing your Suburban to this is not fair on any level. First, that is an actual safety hazard, so requires more testing. Second, your Suburban doesn't have to be compatible with the infinite configurations of hardware and software that are likely to be used with it. As long as it will take gasoline, it's good.

Karl

Scott Ellery

Hi Chris ,

there are a few things that can help with crashes :

did you completely uninstall SolidWorks 2015 before installing SW2016?

did you use copy settings wizard? (you should not do this between versions of the software)

are your Graphics drivers up to date? (check out SolidWorks RX > Diagnostics)

did you try resetting your registry to see if it fixes the issue - http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/09/resetting-sw-registry/

you may have already tried these but if you have not give them a try and see if anything improves.

Chris Clouser

no, never had to in the past.  If SolidWorks is unable to properly update, why do they allow it?

yes and no.  Spent the first 3-4 weeks after installing 2016 with tech support.  did this several times.  Why should you not be able to use the wizard, isn't that what it's for.  Again, if it causes problems, why do they allow it?

yes

yes and no.  See number two.

The software should just work.  Crashing all the time is unacceptable.   Having to be a software troubleshooting expert to use it is unacceptable.

We'll see how today goes:-(

Scott Ellery

Hi Chris ,

the he copy settings wizard should be used to backup for current releases.

for example , if you have setup your toolbars in SW2016 and want to back them up for quick reset or want to share them with your colleagues so they do not have to setup their custom toolbars in SW2016.

when you use the copy settings wizards between releases (example SW2015 to SW2016) you are copying over new features with old features which can cause headache. This gets particularly bad if you have been doing the copy settings from release to release for a long period of time.

this is why I would suggest resetting the registry to clear any settings that were imported to see if it helps. You can always revert back to your current setup if there is no change.

Tony Thompson

Chris

Not sure how you upgraded to SW 2016 but it is advised to do a complete uninstall of the current version before moving to a new version. I have had no problems letting the installation manager handle the service pack updates for the current version I am using but when I move to the next version I ALWAYS do a complete uninstall and manually set all of my system options an file locations in the new version then I use the copy settings and we use this to setup all of the other workstations running SolidWorks in the company so setting the options only has to be done on one system manually, I don't use the copy settings between versions.

If you think about the installation process this should really be common sense because many files change and new ones are added and some of the old ones are no longer needed and upgrading would increasingly get more complicated the more versions you did an update to rather than a new installation because if someone just does an update when going to a new version just imagine of someone started with say 2010 and was only trying to do an update to the next version up until 2016 just think of all of the files that would no longer be needed or that had been changed and added.

Also if you had to spend so much time with tech support to get your new install working than that should give you a clue that something didn't go well or you have outdated drivers or hardware.

It only takes a few minutes to do a complete uninstall and then a fresh new install and is only common sense to upgrade this way because there is a big difference between UPDATING and UPGRADING so if you are having that much problem instead of blaming SolidWorks for all of your problem try the recommended method of UPGRADING  and do a complete uninstall first.

Jim Sculley

There is no need to uninstall.  You can specify that you want the new version to be installed alongside the old version, as opposed to updating the existing version to the new version.  Two separate directory trees with two fully functional SW installs.  I always do it this way so that I can check any new bugs I find against the previous version.

Tony Thompson

I have also done this but have found it can also create issues with two different versions running on the same machine and since I don't need to be able to work with the version I am upgrading from I have found it is just much simpler and easier to just do a clean uninstall then reinstall the new version and only run one version at a time but if that works for you then great but as I said running two versions has caused issues for me.

One of the issues I had was once I had verified that the new upgrade was working properly and I uninstalled the previous version it removed files that the new version was also using and I ended up having to do a repair on the new version install so I now have a workstation class laptop that I use when I travel and I will remove the current version and install the new version and use my laptop for a few days to test it out before upgrading my desktop workstation.

Chris Clouser

Tony, I take issue with a lot of what you are saying.

First, you are saying that we should not upgrade versions because of different file names, locations, etc.

The software should take all of this into account.  It should delete obsolete files and install the new ones.  Is this not a simple concept?

Next, you say that we should not upgrade because it is recommended to do an uninstall first.  If that's the case, that there are issues with upgrades, then why is it an option?  What you are basically saying is that SolidWorks is doing us a disservice by either:

1.  Creating new software that doesn't properly update, or

2.  Allowing us the option to update when we should be doing a complete reinstall.

The fact that I now have to be an IT expert to install SolidWorks is frightening.  The only silver lining is that my experiences with Autodesk are far worse.  But I wouldn't use that as an excuse.

Here's the simple reality.  SolidWorks should work.  If they allow an upgrade, the upgrade should work.  If there are potential problems with an upgrade, they should not allow it.

Another thing is that a lot of people here on the forums like to act all high and mighty when it comes to these problems.

"Just do like I do and you won't have any problems."

The problem with that is that most of the people here on the forums don't use the software to the extent that I do.  For the past 16 years I have been pushing this software beyond it's limits.  In the early 2000's Dassault saw what our team was doing with the software and wanted our files so that they could develop the lightweight function.  We were dealing with 40,000 part assemblies on Windows 2000 computers with 2 gig of ram.

So most of the time when somebody is content with the program and wonders why I'm having problems, I can pretty much guarantee that they aren't doing anything challenging.

Tony Thompson

Chris

Just because SolidWorks allows you to do an update to the next version doesn't mean that is BEST PRACTICE. Imagine if someone who took your position started with lets say SW 2010 and are now updating to SW 2016 just think of how complicated the Installation Manager programing would become if they had to allow for users doing updates instead of clean installs for this many versions. It takes about 10 minutes at most to do a clean uninstall of SolidWorks and the install of the new version will take the same amount of time so doing an UPDATE vs an UPGRADE only takes a few minutes and by doing a clean uninstall you are then getting a fresh new install that doesn't carry anything over from the previous version. Also by doing an UPDATE you might be missing out on some new features if the shortcut key you might have set may also be for a new feature in the next version that you might not know about.

You can do updates to new versions if you want but as for me I want a fresh clean install when moving to the next version and as I said you are only adding a few minutes to the process so why wouldn't you do this if it is less likely to cause you problems. Also I am not saying SolidWorks doesn't have problems because I have found SW 2015 is not as stable as SW 2014 but haven't used SW 2016 enough yet to tell if it is less or more stable than SW 2015 but so far what time I have used it I haven't had any crashes. If you are doing assemblies and parts that are that complex that SolidWorks took a special look at your projects then maybe you are simply using software that isn't capable of handling the work that you are doing. Do you see Ford or GM using SolidWorks to design and assemble their automobiles no because that isn't what SolidWorks is design to do it is a Mid-range CAD program so maybe you need to be on something like Catia or Creo. SolidWorks has MILLIONS of lines of code and they have hundreds or more of users testing the new versions for several months and it is not humanly possible for their programmers to know every possible number of combinations that the software will be subjected to so all they can do is a reasonable amount of testing then release to their customers and correct any problems that come up and if you have an issue with this process then try a different CAD program and see if you have better luck but if you don't want to follow best practices when dealing with the software you will likely continue to have issues and if your parts and assemblies are that complex maybe you need to use better practices when you are creating your sketches and parts. Also if 1 hour seems to be your crash point try doing all of your calculations before you create your sketch instead of the sketch being in edit mode and siting there while you do this on the fly. I do agree that you should be able to have a sketch open in edit mode all day long without crashing but again that isn't best practices and it only takes a few seconds to close the sketch, save the file and re-start the edit of the profile so rather then keep starting all over again stop and save every 30 to 45 minutes.

Jody Holm

Why doesn't SW do the uninstall automatically if it is so important? Or, at least force me to say "No" to a clean install. Who cares if it takes longer.

Shaodun Lin

Hi Chris:

Is the crash repeatable?

Have you recorded the crash with Rx and submit it to SOLIDWORKS Technical support or your VAR?

Geoffrey Deflandre

If he crash more than 2015, you will never work.

Each version is worse than previous one.

We are working on 2015 SP5 and it's catastophic . time to loose everythink because it close, or time to save an assembly...

And they said we will earn time with SW....

Glenn Schroeder

Geoffrey Deflandre wrote:

If he crash more than 2015, you will never work.

Each version is worse than previous one.

We are working on 2015 SP5 and it's catastophic . time to loose everythink because it close, or time to save an assembly...

And they said we will earn time with SW....

Which service pack are you using?  Some people reported a large number of crashes early on with SW2015, but many of these were addressed with later service packs.

Frank Ungaro

Glen, I crash maybe 3, 4 times a day.  Usually doing nothing more that rotating a model or if I'm routing pipes, when I add a dimension to a plane (wall).  I'm running SP 5, 2015.  The issue seems to be related to video. Apparently my problems were not addressed in the service packs you referenced.  The crashing, slow, instability & etc... have been on going problems with Solidworks, I just gave up complaining.  I came here looking to see if it might have been the right time to upgrade to '16 but I'm thinking not yet...

Tim Carraher

You're not alone.  I have probably crashed 2016 30 times already.  This is always doing really simple tasks like inserting a part directly into an assembly or just having a few parts open.  None of these are heavyweight parts and assemblies. 

We had a nice stable version and stopped our subscription, but then the new policies so we said OK, we will get back on it.  Our biggest reason was exactly what goes on here, you update or upgrade from a nice stable version to a new version full of bugs and lose hours every day fighting through the crashes.  It's ridiculous.

Let's get the updates rolling here folks.  This version is not good at all.

Flavio Valencia

Why release a software so unstable? to keep up with "NEW" releases every year?!

Please work on making ONE version "bullet proof" I mean "crash proof".

Tim Carraher

It's subscription software, so they need to have constant updates.  Big problem is that it's simply not worth it, you pay to get junky new versions and by the time they give you the Service Packs and everything calms down, it's on to the next version which is full of flaws.

I have been on Solidworks for 17 years.  This is not good.

Kenny Kuhns

Just chiming in, the unstable  nature of late with Solidworks is becoming extremely tiresome. In last couple of years, the frequency of crashes has exponentially increased, it can be as simple as rotating the model or just saving the file. Trying to continually promote Solidworks to the funding powers to be, has become a real challenge with the continual loss of time and energy from these perpetual crashes. We have people in our Engineering Dept. utilizing Autocad, that are kicking out drawings twice as fast as Solidworks these days. The whole premise of purchasing Solidworks was to expedite and automate the process for our product line. As of late Solidworks is failing miserably and questions continuing to purchase their subscription program all together. There are a lot of options out there today and Solidworks may no longer be part of those options.

Andreas Jost

Hello Tim,

for myself it´s exactly the same. I did work as well with SW 2012 with which  have been very happy and I updated as well due to the ne policies. As well for the reason to be afraid about MS and PC hardware developement, that one day my 2012 versio wouldn´t run on no system anymore.

Furthermore I do share absolutely the point of view from Chris, that a software and especially one of this price segment should work without crashing and no further discussions.

Chris Crawford

I crash every single day. I've tried all of these recommendations that Scott offered and to no avail:

did you completely uninstall SolidWorks 2015 before installing SW2016?

did you use copy settings wizard? (you should not do this between versions of the software).

are your Graphics drivers up to date? (check out SolidWorks RX > Diagnostics).

did you try resetting your registry to see if it fixes the issue.

Yes, I've done all of these! I've learned through habit to save every minute. However, there are times that even when I'm saving every minute and it looks like I'm saving, I'll crash, restart and sadly find out it really wasn't saving after all. I'll typically lose 15-20 minutes of work. Solidworks response? You need to get PDM. I don't think so. I believe the incessant crashing has to do with the excessive storage of temp files and the inability to get rid of them after closing. Eventually, it's like a clogged toilet and has to flush.

Tony Thompson

Chris

A couple of points.

First are you working off of your local hard drive or a network server?

If you are working off of a server and your saves are not actually being saved this may be due to a network server problem because if the server is having connection problems it is like you are plugging in and unplugging your network cable and this can cause not just SolidWorks to be unstable but any other software that accesses files saved on the network. If you are on a network try copying your files to a local hard drive and see if you are still having the saving and crashing issues.

Also if you are using an older computer with older hardware maybe it's time to think about upgrading you system.

I have been in Engineering since 1991 and started out on AutoCAD then Mechanical Desktop and in 2004 started using SolidWorks part time and full time in 2007. I have learned over the years that no matter what software it is CAD, Office or a new version of Windows only fools upgrade as soon as the product releases because it is impossible for software engineers to test every possible way their software is going to be used all they can do is a reasonable amount of beta testing and then release to the public and correct any issues that will show up with service packs. It is wise to wait until at least service pack 2 with most CAD software including SolidWorks and I have NEVER installed the first release of ANY CAD program or CAM program I have used over the past 25 years. If you are going to install SP0 of any program then expect to see problems and if you wish to avoid these problems then wait until at least 2 service packs have been released and usually by then any major bug will have been fixed. I am still using SolidWorks 2015 SP4 and yes I have crashes but they are not that often or that big of a problem.

Another thing you might want to check is try downloading a program called Process Explorer which will let you view the process that are running and to see what DLL's may be hocking into them. I had a problem running Dell Backup & Recovery with SolidWorks so if you are running ANY Dell software be aware that their software does not play well with SolidWorks. The only Dell program I have not had problems with is the Dell Precision Optimizer so try installing the Process Explorer and with SolidWorks running check what DLL's are hooked into the SolidWorks.exe. The only thing you should see is either SolidWorks, Dassault Systèmes or Microsoft hooks so if you see anything else try either closing that program or stop any process that are starting up automatically and running I the background and see if this helps.

Based on your attitude towards SolidWorks you don't seem to have a grasp on how complicated these modern CAD programs are and the very very complex math that is going on in the background and I would say that you either have a bad install or you have some incompatible hardware like the video card or the drivers on your system, if you are on a network then there is something going on with your server or your connection to the server if your files are not being saved so you might want to have IT check this for you, or you have another piece of software installed and either running or something in the background running that isn't playing well with SolidWorks so check these possible problems and remember it isn't very wise to install a new program as soon as it is released so in the future you might want to wait until a couple of service packs come out. I plan to upgrade to SW 2016 when service pack 3 is released and they address the color of the icons and by then any stability issues should be resolved but I will still wait until SP3 has been out for a while and check to see what if any issues come out of that service pack.

Chris Clouser

I usually wait until SP2, but because some of my enhancement requests were implemented, I thought I'd go ahead and "trust" them at  SP1.

The major flaw in your philosophy is that if everybody follows your advice, the SP2 will be crap and we will all need to wait until SP4.  Then SP4 will be crap and we will all have to wait until a year or two later until we start getting good releases.

Somebody has to nut-up and start using the software or bugs will never get fixed.

My issue is that there is no compensation for those brave souls.  If you are one of these people, beta testers and early adopters, who are reporting bugs, YOU ARE PART OF THE SOLIDWORKS DEVELOPMENT TEAM!  Yet you are uncompensated for your time and effort.

There needs to be a discount from your maintenance for each bug you report.  I would say $250 dollars which represents 2-3 hours of engineering/design time taken away from your organization.

Let me repeat:

Any time someone finds a bug in the software, and it is verified by SWX, they should receive a $250 discount on their next maintenance bill.

I can guarantee you that the product will greatly improve if this policy were put into place, and customer relations would greatly improve.

It's immoral to leverage my time for no compensation.  I have spent hundreds of hours troubleshooting bugs in this software over the past 16 years.  Many of you have done the same.

I'll go a step further.  There should be generous compensation for any enhancement requests incorporated by SWX.  We are doing your R&D.  This creativity should be encouraged and rewarded.  There is no way this won't help your bottom line.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good ideas but don't go to the trouble to log on to the website and submit them.  I know of a few myself.

Timothy Wicke

I actually had crashing occurring at complete random in SWX 2015 SP4 and 2016 SP0, 0.1, and 1.  After a year of chasing and replacing all of the components one by one finally resorted to a complete swap and a new computer solved the issue.  If you have actual crashes then there are entries in a log somewhere that tell you why it crashed.  Regardless if you get a Windows BSOD or an Android App crash a report is generated and logged.  There is almost always someone out there who can divulge what they mean.

Robert Coombes

Hello

As new user of Solidworks 2015 , yes like everyone else, had few crash`s and clock of death

just got the new 2016 upgrade on cd, putting me off upgrading already 

why cant they do a auto save every few mins, 15mins or so ?   ( may be there already, and not found tick box for it )

Robert

Glenn Schroeder

Robert Coombes wrote:

why cant they do a auto save every few mins, 15mins or so ? ( may be there already, and not found tick box for it )

There isn't an Auto-save (and I wouldn't use it if there was), but you can set up a reminder to save after a certain length of time at Tools > Options > System Options.

Dan Schirle

I agree Solidworks crashes a lot but one thing I noticed if it looks like it is going to crash, remove your hands from the keyboard and mouse for at least 2 minutes.  Every time you roll a mouse wheel or hit a key you are adding to the commands hit has to preform before it comes back.  This does make a difference from what I see.  In solidworks defense it does do some amazing shit.

Shaodun Lin

Hi Chris:

I have some information for you to perform initial investigation.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png11.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

12.png

Chris Clouser

I don't know all that's going on in the background.  I feel like nobody does.

That being said, if the software becomes confused, why does it crash.  Why can't it just take a step back, terminate the operation, ask the user to save and restart?

Jerry Cross

I have my fare share of crashing, just curious, if you set auto save every 5 or 10 minutes it still doesn't save where you were. its frustrating to have to redo all the work you did, not to mention guessing where it ended.

I'm using windows 7 64bit Solidworks 2016 should be a way to trap the crash so you can read it in english not programming language. That would be a nice pc of software

Naser Alomaira

yup, one more user here trying out SW2016 SP1 & its crashing more than 2015 for sure.

I use to complain about performance when 2015 was released, now its even more serious issues.

Just a quick question to SW: How many beta testers do you have ? 10 ? what the hell  are they doing ?

And Mr. Shaodun we are Engineers not bloody IT service desk. If you blame windows & want me to edit the registry than it shows your not working closely with Microsoft & you certainly want me to have an IT dude baby sitting us ehh.

Its time to really thing of an alternative.

Chris Clouser

Two different people here crashing when trying to start a new drawing and inserting the part into the drawing.

One of the parts is very complex, so you could see how SWX might be struggling.  It's a washer with one feature in the tree.

Guaranteed crash every time, repeatable.  had to show them another way to start a drawing and fortunately that worked.

Andreas Jost

Hello all,

I´m not a profesional  and all the things I have done with SW I did learn how to do it by veideos, or by myself. Therefore the chance of crashes sould be rather high in my beginning, than now. But until january 2016 I worked with SW 21012 and in all these years I had with taht Version less crashes, than I had until the update to 2016.....

The stability of SW 2012 is what I loved sooooo much and what for myself as a private user the price of it absolutely worth. And I real hope that the actual issues will be solved soon,

Bob Van Dick

Andreas,

I afraid you are going to be disappointed.....it's getting worse, not better.  The only sense of urgency on the part of Dassault is to squeeze every nickel from its customers pockets, not to fix bugs that seem to hang around from version to version......sad....

Bob

Andreas Jost

Until january 2016 I only had the 2012 Version and I loved this software for its stabilty what by the way has been one of the most important points for myself to go for an update. And now I´m quiet deceived and angry, seen for me as a privat user with low incom, ths is a bunch of money I had to spend for it.....

Alen Topic

Hey Chris,

Sorry this chat is way to long, not sure if you fixed your issue or not. Are you perhaps running windows 8?

Alen

Dave Jacob

I run NX,Creo (ProE), and SW. SW is the only tool I use that regularly crashes on me.  Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.  I am running a year old high end workstation desk top with latest drivers etc.  And I've noticed the problem has gotten worse over the past few releases.  But it is still my favorite tool by far. I've just learned to save frequently. Not too many years ago SW put a lot of emphasis on its new releases into stabilizing the code.  I think it would benefit everyone if they would revisit that. 

Chris Clouser

Would you say you're "challenging" each software package roughly the same?

Dave Jacob

Certainly there are differences although I don't know how to weight them.  With NX (not Creo), I save to a corporate server instead of my local drive.  I would say I pull larger assemblies with CREO and NX but that I deal with more orphans with SW.    I also do a lot of simulation with SW as I have simulation premium and flow simulation licenses.  But I experience most crashes during modeling, not simulation.  I do use more complex assembly mates in SW as the other two don't offer the same level of sophistication.

I think I've learned to live with the crashes though.   Saving is quick and I save often.  I also exit and restart SW whenever I notice responses starting to slow.    I worked a long day yesterday but rebooted 3X during the course of the day and still had 1 crash.  Still, I've learned to work with it and it rarely bites me bad.  My primary issue with the crashes is when I try to  get my clients to consider SW.  They hit me with the crash problem, I have to concede it's true and that's generally the end of the conversation.