3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 6:14 PM by Dennis Bacon

Detach Segment on Drag 3D sketching

Mark Sloans

At solidworks world, I asked the question how to get rid of the constraint of merged points so that you don't have to delete a line to go past the original merged point.  One of the solidworks guys said to use "detach segment on drag" and that works yet somewhat cumbersome, but I was disappointed when I read about it in the help file and it says "Detach Segment on Drag is not available in 3D sketches."  From help file 2015 and 2016.  3D sketching is where we need it the most since we do most of our weldments in 3D sketching.  One way I have thought about dealing with it is doing a replace entity with another line that I draw in, but the weldment did not like that either.  How do others deal with a merged line set with out deleting the line and making the weldments "blow up"?  Attached is an image of the merged point I am talking about.

• Re: Detach Segment on Drag 3D sketching
          Dennis Bacon

Interesting dilemma Mark. I fiddled around with the two methods you mentioned and sure enough they don't work. Then I remembered how I have done this in the past. Use the split tool and split whichever line you wish. Then delete one segment of the split line and drag the end point (or dimension) the other line. Then do a coincident relation to have the lines intersect again. I did this on a weldment similar to your sketch and there were no issues.

Mark Sloans

That is one way to approach the problem.  I noticed that I had to be careful which line I deleted from the split.  I think I need to keep the segment of first creation and delete the second side.  I also looked at the 2d sketching and tried to do a replace entity and that did not work well.  The detach segment worked in the 2d sketch.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Dennis Bacon

I had fiddled with this some more this morning. Somethings just bug me... I found that you can right click on the line > sketch tools > move entities then use the triad (or translate) to move the line which direction you want. Then, of course you can reattach the (drag) the end points. Nothing deleted this way. Perhaps something to keep in mind.

Or,,,,,  Draw another line and extend a line to it then delete the extra line.