2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 11:19 AM by Gabriele Giorgini

Equation not updating

Gabriele Giorgini

Hi, I'm having some troubles with solidworks equations at work. We have 5 workstations, all with Sw2015sp3 some premium some professional, a few laptops with the 2015sp5 version.

I started rebuilding the company library and so I thought it was useful to make the screw from scratch with the dimensional data from our suppliers. I made them with multiple configurations for the length of the screw, with an equation to drive it so it was faster to modify it. I know I should have used the configuration table but not all the guys would know how to handle such file afterwards.

Anyway, huge problem...  no matter what ctrl+b or ctrl+q i hit, sometimes the screw is not rebuilding correctly and as you can see from the attached file even if I set "H" to be 20mm, D2@sketch4 is still returning 6mm. It's a huge problem because in the drawings the length would be dimensioned wrongly.

Less important is the length of the cosmetic thread.. in this screw it should be 20mm... I set it up to be blind for 20mm on the longest screw and so it's automatically reduced to the total length of the screw when H is less than 20. This is not working, depending on the day, sometimes it works, sometimes the cosmetic thread function crashes and it's blind for only 0.000011mm

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Gabriele

• Re: Equation not updating
          Scott Ellery

I have just tested your file and everything seems to workings fine, is there a certain condition at which you are seeing the equation fail?

on a side note is there a particular reason that you cannot use the Toolbox for this instead of manually modeling your fasteners?

• Re: Equation not updating
              Gabriele Giorgini

Hi Scott, thanks for your time.

The equation doesn't really fail, it's just not calculated.

In the file that I've attached the configuration H20 opens with an H value of "6" while it should be 20. I double checked again now downloading it again.

I found the toolbox to be very complete, but not very friendly when it comes to replace a component or move projects to other computers. While our library is surely more time consuming to setup it requires no remating while changing height or replacing the part with another beacuse all the screw are based on the very same sketch.

Anyway I "fixed" it today by removing the globar variable "H" and setting up the value of the d2@Sketch4 manually... not really a fix just a workaround...