6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 6:58 AM by Thomas Voetmann

Having trouble setting up a revision scheme in Solidworks Standard PDM.

Steven Will

Now I know this is a Standard PDM question but I couldn't locate the proper forum, so I put it on here because Enterprise is just an upgrade of Standard. So right now, at my company we use Workgroup PDM but are trying to transition into Standard PDM and maybe Enterprise. I am having trouble setting up a revision scheme like in Workgroup PDM where when you check something in, you can choose whether it was primary or secondary revision change. We use A-01, A signifying a change in geometry change and 01 signifying a minor change like a change in the title block of the drawing. It seems that I can only change both at the same time when I want the option to change one or the other. In the first picture you can see in Standard PDM that the number and the letter change at the same time but what I want is displayed in the second picture in Workgroup PDM. I can choose a Primary or secondary change turning the new revision into A-02 or B-01. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?Standard PDM example.png

Workgroup PDM example.png

• Re: Having trouble setting up a revision scheme in Solidworks Standard PDM.
          Jim Sculley

I'm not sure about Standard, but in PDM Pro, you can specify that you want to increment one or more parts of the revision number by 0, which will leave it as as, while other parts will increment by one.  Right click the destination state and select Properties.  On the Revision  Numbers tab you an specify the increment value.  Our revision scheme is numeric for real revisions and letters for intermediate revisions.  So A...B..C..D..0....0A..0B...1, etc.  Here's what the increment values look like:

• Re: Having trouble setting up a revision scheme in Solidworks Standard PDM.
              Steven Will

Can I see what your Workflow diagram looks like. The process that we currently have is we check out what we want to work on, we make changes, and check back in adding notes about what we changed and then select which Rev we want whether its A-02 or B-01. I'm not sure how to set that up, this is what i currently have.

Workflow Diagram.png

I have the initial Check in at the top, and have it split off into either a Primary Rev or Secondary Rev. The transitions don't have the Inc. Rev. action because when ever I change the state it changes the rev but doesn't let me add a comment. So then I have to go into History and add a comment to what the change was. Then i just have it cycle back up to the Checked in copy and when i have a production print, i will just add a comment to the last Rev.

I guess what i'm asking is in the check in screen, can i modify it so that it allows me to add a revision. The First picture is Workgroup PDM allowing me to change the revision in the check-in screen (which is what i want), the second picture is what Standard PDM Check in screen looks like for me.