3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2016 5:33 PM by James Rhys-Davies

how to model body mounting tabs in full assembly

John Doe

So I am working with my schools formula sae team and in charge of modeling the diffuser mounting tabs to the chassis.  I have the full car assembly with all the body parts/aero mated in their correct places but not actually mounted and was wondering what the procedure to do this would be.   I know how to model parts such as sheet metal tabs but would not know how to add them to the assembly and get the necessary dimensions I need from the model in order to model the tabs themselves.

Couple questions-

1) how would I find a diameter of a chassis tube I am looking to mount to?

2) how would I find the dimensions I need to make the tabs?

a) The parts are mated to the location they are supposed to be at, so how I would I find a distance from say a tube to the part?

I am sure I will have more questions later but thats it for now.  I just need a general guideline on how to proceed/start this.  Any tips on how to get good at solidworks fast or if you know of any tutorials I should look at that would help with what I am trying to do let me know please.  I am not a total solidworks noob but not the best.  I haven't used solidworks in a bit over a year which was only an introductory course so this complex of modeling is levels ahead of where I left off.  I have 2 weeks to finish this and the hardest part of this task will be familiarizing myself enough with the program in order to accomplish this.  Thanks

• Re: how to model body mounting tabs in full assembly
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  With the main assembly open, click on the Part that needs the tabs, then select the Edit Part icon (see below).  That will allow to edit the chosen Part within the main assembly, all the other components will remain visible, and you can add dimensions or relations to the other parts.  That should allow you to place the tabs as needed relative to the other components.  Please let me know if this helps, or if you have more questions.