AnsweredAssumed Answered

how to model body mounting tabs in full assembly

Question asked by John Doe on Feb 5, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 6, 2016 by James Rhys-Davies

So I am working with my schools formula sae team and in charge of modeling the diffuser mounting tabs to the chassis.  I have the full car assembly with all the body parts/aero mated in their correct places but not actually mounted and was wondering what the procedure to do this would be.   I know how to model parts such as sheet metal tabs but would not know how to add them to the assembly and get the necessary dimensions I need from the model in order to model the tabs themselves.

Couple questions-

1) how would I find a diameter of a chassis tube I am looking to mount to?

2) how would I find the dimensions I need to make the tabs?

a) The parts are mated to the location they are supposed to be at, so how I would I find a distance from say a tube to the part?

I am sure I will have more questions later but thats it for now.  I just need a general guideline on how to proceed/start this.  Any tips on how to get good at solidworks fast or if you know of any tutorials I should look at that would help with what I am trying to do let me know please.  I am not a total solidworks noob but not the best.  I haven't used solidworks in a bit over a year which was only an introductory course so this complex of modeling is levels ahead of where I left off.  I have 2 weeks to finish this and the hardest part of this task will be familiarizing myself enough with the program in order to accomplish this.  Thanks

Outcomes