13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 11:19 AM by John Stoltzfus

BOM types

Douglas Lengyel

I know there is a way to do what I am about to ask. When attaching a BOM to a drawing, there are 3 different types of BOM types as we all know. Top level, Parts only and Indented. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to create a Parts only BOM and have sub assemblies listed in the BOM. So basically using a sub-assembly as a part. I am using SolidWorks 2014. If anyone knows of a way to do this and can help, I would appreciate your help.

• Re: BOM types
          John Stoltzfus

Waiting for this for years - Nothing at the moment.  What you can do (a work around) is select the indented BOM and then hide the rows you don't want to show, work somewhat OK - but personally don't like it.  Another way is to save out your BOM as an Excel File and then copy paste it directly into the drawing page - No Parametric Changes doing it this way. 

There was an idea in the top 10 list forum, but not sure how high it got in the polls, was hoping it is within that window.

Douglas Lengyel

Glad I am not the only one to have this problem. Something I just noticed is that if I have a "Parts Only" BOM.....some of the spools I have assembled are showing as parts even though they are sub-assy's. Trying to figure out how to make some of the other sub-assy's do the same.

John Stoltzfus

Let me know as well

Douglas Lengyel

See what Kevin and Pete said to do...

John Stoltzfus

All you get is either Top assemblies, Indented or Parts...

No - what I want still doesn't work..

I want just sub-assemblies doesn't matter how many layers deep, no parts.

If you change the sub-assembly to Promote, it shows all the parts as well, I want just the sub-assemblies

Douglas Lengyel

Do you only have sub assemblies in your model? If not, that might be the reason....in any case, the Top Level type should be correct for that since it is only what is in the model that is used.

John Stoltzfus

Do you only have sub assemblies in your model? No

Top level collects only the top level

Here I have a Main Assembly which can consist of 4 other Sub-Assemblies I can list those 4 Sub-Assemblies with the Top Level type as you mentioned, but that's it... What I would like to see is the Top Sub-Assemblies can be made up of other sub-assemblies and parts as follows

Assembly 1 (Main)

Sub-Assembly 1 (1st Level) could consist of Additional Sub-Assemblies 5 & 6) plus parts

Sub-Assembly 2 (1st Level) could consist of Additional Sub-Assemblies 7 & 8) plus parts

Sub-Assembly 1 (1st Level) could consist of Additional Sub-Assemblies 9 & 10) plus parts

and Sub-Assembly 9 could have additional Sub-Assemblies as well

I would like a BOM that collects all of the Assembly files and no part files, this would give me a summarized list of what the main assembly consists of..

Douglas Lengyel

So for instance.....if you were to make an outline of what you are trying to do would be:

1.) Full Assy

A.) Sub Assy 1

I.) Sub Assy 5

II.) Sub Assy 6

III.) Part 1

IV.) Part 2

B.) Sub Assy 2

I.) Sub Assy 7

II.) Sub Assy 8

III.) Part 1

IV.) Part 2

C.) Sub Assy 3

I.) Sub Assy 9

a.) Sub Assy 4

b.) Sub Assy 11

II.) Sub Assy 10

III.) Part 1

IV.) Part 2

Right? If so, would it be easier to make individual drawings for each sub assembly? That would be too complex to me.

John Stoltzfus

That layout is what I'm talking about,

and yes I do have drawings for every sub-assembly and every drawing. 

It more about our work flow here and how we collect and digest information.  If we do a new version of a certain pc of furniture there are times I need to compile a list of Sub-Assemblies, so what I do now is use the indented bom which collects every pc used in the entire assembly including the top assembly, then save out the bom as an excel file, then sort and work with that list.

I can get what I need but it would be sweet if they would add one more search/return style..

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Under configuration properties, you can alter how child components are displayed in the BOM: Show, Hide, Promote.

You mentioned the subs are displaying instead of their parts in a "Parts only" BOM.

This is the behavior for the "Hide" setting on a parts only.

Check the configuration properties for these subs and see if "Hide" is the selection.

See SW help for "Configuration Properties".

Cheers,

Kevin

Pete DeRaymond

will this do wut you want?

In the subassembly's configuration properties dialog, select "hide" for "child component display when used as a subassembly:"Capture.PNG

Ed Cyganik

Unless I do not really understand;

A top Level BOM does exactly what you are asking for, display all parts and subassemblies. Subassembly components are not displayed, hence subassemblies are a single entry or item.