6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 5:12 PM by Chris B.

How to get going on EPDM

Hector Vasquez

We have finished installation of EPDM in our servers and computers.  That is it.

I have created two Vaults, one for training/development and the other is for real use, when the time comes.

I got this far.

My question is do I start with data cards, folder templates, etc...

Thanks in advanced.

Héctor

• Re: How to get going on EPDM
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Hector, did your VAR take you through Administration training? Usually during an implementation, some training will be performed.

If not, the PDM Administration Guide is another great resource. You can find it using the steps below:

1. Go to Start, All Programs, Solidworks EnterprisePDM, Administration

2. In the Administration Tool, click Help, Administration Guide

This will open up a PDF, and there is lots and lots of information and examples in there on data cards, variables, users and groups, workflows etc.

Hope this helps get you started.

Best regards,

Prasad Bhonsule

Hector Vasquez

Hi Prasad Bhonsule

I actually well versed in building cards, folder templates, security and users/groups, creating workflows...etc..etc...

I guess my question is more on the sequence of events. do I set up card first? then workflow? or users groups first?

Thanks,

Hector

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Hector, my general methodology when implementing for customers is to do:

1. users and groups, then

2. Variables and data cards

3. Workflows, revision schemes

4. Templates

I think with that it gives you a good idea of how the system is intended to work. But again, this is my general preference. Also, keep in mind, that EPDM is very configurable, so even if you set something up eg workflow or template) does not mean you cannot later go back and change it.

Kind regards,

Prasad Bhonsule

Hector Vasquez

Thank you Prasa Bhonsule, this helps a lot.

Héctor

Chris B.

Also, keep in mind, that EPDM is very configurable, so even if you set something up eg workflow or template) does not mean you cannot later go back and change it.

From my experience, EPDM is very unfriendly if you try to change things after initial set up.

For example:  If you have any files that have been in a work flow State, you can never delete that state.  Unless you delete all files that have ever been in that State.

Also, with Templates, if you want to change one single variable, it would not let me delete that variable, ever.  I've had (many times now) to re-create that Template from scratch, because variables changed for some reason.

Good you have a test vault.  I would do almost 100% of your work in Test first, because once in the Live vault it is very unfriendly to change.