AnsweredAssumed Answered

Revision Scheme / Viewing Old Revision Drawings

Question asked by Ian Woodward on Feb 1, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 by Kenneth Barrentine

First of all, apologies for the recent influx of questions / discussions. As you can probably tell I'm trying to improve my knowledge of file management systems & best practices.

Over the past few days I've been working through various Solidworks Workgroup PDM tutorials. From what I can see most of it seems straight forward enough (ish!) and I can't wait to start using it. One thing I haven't been able to clarify is below.

- What is the best practice for returning to old part / drawing revisions. I have part GW921 which is currently revision J, the drawing for this part is currently Revision P. I want to view the drawing for the part when it was at revision D. What is the best way to do this?

Obviously if part/drawing revisions were kept in sync this would be easy as it would simply be a case of opening drawing revision D 'as built'. However as we can up issue a drawing without up issuing the part (missing dimension etc.) this isn't always that simple.

Would it be a good idea to use a secondary revision? Example below.

Part

A-01 = Good (ie. REV A)

A-02 = Working copy / changes that don't require the part to be fully up issued

A-03 = Working copy / changes that don't require the part to be fully up issued

and so on

B-01 = Good (ie. REV B)

B-02 = Working copy / changes that don't require the part to be fully up issued

B-03 = Working copy / changes that don't require the part to be fully up issued

and so on

Drawing

A-01 = First drawing of the part checked in

A-02 / 03 / 04 etc. can be used for adding information when the part has not been up issued. ie. a missing dimension. The 01/02/03 etc. are not linked to the part revision.

As soon as the part is made up to revision B-01 the drawing moves to B-01. The drawing could then reach revision B-99 (for example) with the part still at B-01.

So in the scenario above my part would be J-01. If I wanted to view the drawing for the part at revision D I would know to open at the latest D-?? revision.

I might be way off here so please correct me!

Outcomes