4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 4:30 PM by Chris Oxford

Is there a way to only import certain dimensions into an assembly drawing

Brandi Groth

We have parts with all the dimensions imported into their drawings.

We have an assembly that only needs certain dimensions from the parts added to the assembly drawing.

Is there a way to only import certain dimensions into the assembly drawing without importing all of the dimensions?

• Re: Is there a way to only import certain dimensions into an assembly drawing
          Kenneth Barrentine

for parts this works reasonably well however, assemblies don't have model dimensions in them.

that said, check your options;

tools> options> system options> drawings> mark all part/assembly dimension for import ...

you can control individual dims by using "mark" & "unmark" button.

fyi, there is no option to mark for part vs assembly.

see attached

personally i find it far more efficient to manually dimension than fiddle with mark & unmark and then hope it gets placed in the drawing view correctly.

Chris Oxford

Yes, but one is able to put dimensions in an assembly, and then, for example, over ride them, and then mark for drawing. But after all that, Insert-Model Items does not recognize the dimension.

We document cord lengths in dimensions on drawings, re-using the same cord model detail (a work around due to break-view breaking entire views instead of components and our assemblies are too complex to layout to break exactly in the same place for each component). We can't model cord lengths at full scale and then cut, some cords are 25 ft long, models get unwieldy, and the break view feature is too limited, like I said.

We'd like to save dimension lengths in assemblies, and import dimensions, and the functionality appears to exist, but does not behave as expected. When I set to import top level only, marked only, nothing comes in. All I can do is import all, and I get all dims in the model tree, literally hundreds, whether they are marked for drawing or not (typically none are).

I'm pushing all the buttons, but the software is not acknowledging, or giving me any indication of why. After 15 years using SW, I still feel like an alpha tester. (SW 2015, latest SP)

Kelvin Lamport

Individual dimensions cannot be inserted, but the dimensions related to individual features can.

In the View Manager tree, drill down to the feature, select it, activate the Insert > Model Items tool, and make the Select Feature option is enabled.

Mike Pogue

If the dimension is a mate, and it probably should be if you are trying to control an assembly dimension, then yes. Add a mate, then double click on the mate in the feature tree--the mate will appear as a dimension in the assembly model view. Right click on it there and you can mark or unmark it for drawings. There may be a cleaner workflow--I don't use model dimensions because of the gap problem.