9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 9:40 AM by Dave Krum

Make equation to be used in drawing for dimensions?

Dave Krum

Good morning All,

I'm wondering if equations can be used when making a drawing (have used these in parts but never tried for drawings).  Up until this point, I've always been using the ol' calculator to add numbers and then manually type in the values for my dimensions which have additional lines from the "real value".  Basically, I have 3 lines for a given dimension (see below for clarity).  The first one is the true <dim> value, then the text above it simply adds .0625 to the first value, then the 3rd line of text adds .1875 to that of the second.  I didn't see "equations" from any pulldowns (i.e. tools menu) when in the drawing module.  Is there some way to automate this to eliminate calculator or keying input error?  Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

• Re: Make equation to be used in drawing for dimensions?
          Deepak Gupta

There is no way to use equations directly in drawings, they are meant for models only.

What you might do is create two properties in the model, driven by equations for the additional values. And then add a note in drawing linked to those equations. Finally place the note next to the dimension.

Dave Krum

Deepak,

Not sure how to go about this from within the part.  I have no defining dimension going from pt. A to pt. B (see below).  So how would I define a custom property which I would normally do by simply picking the dimension (after turning annotations / show feature dimensions ON) and adding .0625 to it to get the value?  There is no dimension to pick from.  Would I have to create a new sketch and smart dimension between these two points first?  I've also attached the part file but its in SW2016 so not sure if you can open it.  Thanks for the help.Capture.JPG

Ed Cyganik

The simplest method I can think of is to create all required dimensions in the part model.

They can be model dimensions and/or reference dimensions.

They can include any type of annotation.

They can be dimensions to model geometry or sketch geometry or construction geometry.

Dave Krum

Hello Ed and thanks for the input.  I'm not sure what a reference dimension would be in a part. I normally only use dimensions in my sketch to define it then extrude it to 3d which I think is what you are referring to as model dimensions?  And then add some fillets and chamfers, etc.  I don't know if there is a way to put a dimension onto a finished part (see below) without first opening a new sketch on a given surface and then inserting some dimensions on the part geometry then closing the sketch.  Is there something I am missing?  Sorry for sounding naive......

John Stoltzfus

gm Dave - I would be concerned about parametric changes, and here is what I would do.

Model the part how it is made, start out with the largest size then cut the part from there using offset sketches. You can easily name the sketches upon creation if you have that option on, Then select the drawing view where you want that information shown and then go to Insert/Model Items and just have the right options checked, then everything stays the way you drew it and has the appropriate notes..

Dave Krum

Morning to you too John,

I will have to look at this later.  I had to downgrade back to 2015 this weekend due to issues with the new version which I don't wanna go into.  I have a thread out on the import/export category where SW2015 is now crashing after trying to importing IFC files and it never did that before so I need to get that resolved first and will look at this afterwards.  Thanks for the response!