12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 4:08 PM by David Brukardt

Solidworks 2016 Envelopes showing in upper level assemblies

Jim Moses

Hi,

I have several small assemblies that feed to a larger main assemblies and for some reason all of a sudden all the envelopes from the lower level drawings started showing.

Is there a way to globally turn off these or do you have to select each one to make them hide, as this makes for way too much work on the upper level if you have to select each one

Regards,

• Re: Solidworks 2016 Envelopes showing in upper level assemblies
          Deepak Gupta
          1. In the FeatureManager design tree, right-click the assembly name at the top of the tree.
          2. Click Hide All Envelopes

Jim Moses

Hi,

I found that for the upper most level, but for the lower level ones isn't there some kind of global setting?

I would think envelopes would only show in the assembly they are added at, not show up in the higher level drawings as that adds for a lot of potential issues of mating to the wrong item etc., never mind the issue with having a bunch of items duplicated and triplication in the upper level drawings and slowing things down due to having to deal with all that visual data.

Regards,

Ed Cyganik

Are you talking about assembly models or drawings?

By default

...an envelope added to an assembly will be displayed as transparent blue.

...a subassembly containing an envelope will displayed as transparent blue in an other higher level assembly.

...assembly drawing views with envelope(s) do not display automatically, they must be turned on.

Jim Moses

Hi,

I can see them being visible in the assembly they are inserted, but have never seen them show up in a higher assembly that I can remember, and yes the drawing you have to turn them on.

I used envelopes in SW 2012/2013 and haven't had many need for them until recently and just had someone jumping around because there were duplicate geometry in the assembly files (as the envelopes were set as do not change) hence the reason for this post, as I would think that having a envelope show in a higher assembly would be counter intuitive, as that is the reason I use envelopes is to show items for a assembly drawing without having to load a complete plant layout ever time.

Regards,

Ed Cyganik

Using SW2013, envelopes in lower level assemblies display automatically when the assembly is placed in a higher level assembly.

This to be is normal. There isn't any duplicate geometry.

I don't understand what you mean by; "envelopes were set as do not change"???

It may be we are using envelopes in a different manner but I believe all the functionality is there.

Just to explain a bit more, we have a variety of subassemblies or "sections" as we refer to them, that once assembled, make up an entire unit.

Mechanical Design Engineering creates all of the parts, assemblies and drawings complete with BOMs.

ME is responsible for procurement of all non-electrical components.

Electrical Engineering defines all electrical components and their requirements.

EE is responsible for procurement of electrical components.

So a Fan Section may contain a vibration switch,

...a Pump Skid may contain a pressure switch, solenoid valve, conductivity sensor, etc.,

...a Control Panels & Junction Boxes are mounted on a Basin Section,

Each one of the above are assembled in a top level assembly where all electrical components are displayed as envelopes.

This allows us to install conduit for all electrical components regardless of what subassembly of section they reside in and at the same time, none of the electrical components appear in any BOM.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but without envelopes, my job would be very painful.

Jim Moses

Hi,

The setting I was refering to "envelopes were set as do not change" is a display thing as normally all envelope parts come in a bright cyan color, if you set the variable to the above they appear normal which is sometime helpful when you have a lot of surfaces as I do a lot with extruded Aluminum profile, and the Cyan gets hard on the eyes.

I agree on how you use them, I've been making small installation assemblies for different things as the installer does not need to know or see the electrical panels in a work cell, when installing a partition wall on the other side of the cell, not to mention the time it take Solidworks to deal with the extra geometry

For some reason in 2016 the envelopes are showing in the upper level installs, normally I could load my main assembly with each install assembly and only 1 real copy of parts and building be present and visible in the assembly, but what 2016 is doing is showing all the envelopes unless you select the hide all envelopes which is what caused a issues for my coworkers. Like I said I don't remember envelopes showing in upper level assemblies  in 2012 or 2013, and for the life of me not sure why you would want them to as you would end up with a ton of extra geometry in the assembly that

Regards,

Ed Cyganik

Okay, just a couple more comments:

You can change an envelope's appearance to "opaque".

...if you don't like the bright cyan color, you can change it to whatever you like.

Here is a simple example of my work:

Envelopes.JPG

Lastly, the functionality & capability of Envelopes has its place for a variety of working schemes but it isn't for everything or everybody.

In your particular case, I believe you would be better served if you used Display States and/or Configurations.

Hell, for that matter, maybe a combination of; Display States, Configurations AND Envelopes.

Again, just my 2¢

Good Luck

Jim Moses

Hi,

Yeah you can do a variety of things with envelopes, in my case the main layout assembly I am using parts of is 130mb so having to load that every time is a killer on productivity.  Hence why we are using them make single system installs, as we do robotic paint cells for planes and the sizes of the buildings or areas is too massive to deal with, especially when you load all the sub-systems, lighting, operators stands, robots, etc... it adds up very quickly.

Also when loading some of the drawings related to this assembly, can take 25 minutes plus just to open, so there is no way you would want to utilize this for each of the installs, even with configurations or display states it can get very confusing and problematic when trying to suppress or hide  a 1000 different components, not to mention we have more than one user working on this project.

Regards,

Elmar Klammer

Hi,

Run a advanced search in your to assembly "Document name -- SW Special" contains "sldasm"

This will select all Subassemblies

Run macro found below....will hide all envelopes from selection

Component is selected, but doesn't become visible

Jim Moses

Hi,

You can do that by right clicking see the first reply, my whole point was why would you want them to show as I can not think of a valid reason you would want a envelope to show.  I can understand each group loading a assembly level components that are relevant to their components as envelopes for placement and their specific drawings packages and then having the main assembly load each sub-assy, but why would you want the envelopes to show there?

Regards,

Michael Sutherland

Jim,

Deepak  is correct, you can simply click your top assy in your feature tree and select hide all envelopes. I would also like to add

that if you are using a lot of envelopes to also select "unload hidden bodies" after you hide all the envelopes. This will remove the data and is equivalent to the part being suppressed.

Thanks,

Michael

David Brukardt

Jim,

Looks like another fine mess SolidWorks created.  In SolidWorks 2013, SolidWorks added the ability to show envelopes inserted in lower assemblies (must have been a user request).  From my experimentation, the best way to solve this is to use the method Deepak suggested and hide all envelopes (this should not affect the lower level assemblies itself) then if you have envelopes in the upper level assembly you will need to show those.  Your other option is to show all envelopes then right click on each lower assembly and select hide all envelopes.  I am not very happy with this arrangement either but...