10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 11:16 PM by Ryan McVay

SW 2016: Undo not updating body

Ryan McVay

I have a fairly simple part that will not undo properly. When I edit the sketch and move my sketch elements the part updates correctly. When I attempt an Undo the sketch transforms back to the original position but the solid body does not update. Even after a rebuild is done.

Now, is this normal for SolidWorks or is this a bug inside of SW 2106?

SW2016- Undo issue.PNG

• Re: SW 2016: Undo not updating body
          Dennis Bacon

Yes, I would say that is a bug or semi bug. I found that the standard rebuild would not move the arm to the sketch but a Ctrl+Q would move the arm to it's original (sketch) position.

Ryan McVay

Thank you. I'll have to take a look at the differences between ctrl Z and control Q.

Ryan McVay

Dennis Bacon

Can you take a look at this part again. Clock the same feature closer to the other hub. You should see some blends fail. I'm not sure why SW is saying that the blends fail. The missing edges aren't missing..even though SW says they are. I haven't been able to write down the precise process but I can get SW critically fail by adjusting the blends to "correct" them.

Dennis Bacon

I think I see what you are getting at Ryan. If you move the arm (spoke) to where it overlaps the other then the fillets will fail since the edges no longer exist. I suppressed the fillets and brought the arms as close together as I could and then unsuppressed the fillets and it rebuilt without errors. I have not been able to get it to fail critically.

In the screenshot on the right the arms are in the same position as the one on the left. Am I understanding you correctly?

Edit:... This will fail as expected.

Ryan McVay

Yes. That looks correct. But that fillet is down the tree. It was fillet 4 that was failing for me and then when I attempted to play with redefining the face edges things were blowing up. That was with 2016 SP1 as well..I haven't had much time to play with this part in SP2 too much.

I'll get back to you and thank for taking time out of your day to help others.

Ryan McVay

I was able to get SW to die. After making the initial edit do the following:

1. Edit Fillet 9 so that the feature lists the missing edge in the dialog

2. Exit the feature edit

3. Attempt to edit Fillet 4

I get the toilet swirl of no return.

Let me know if you can duplicate.

Thanks.

Umberto Zanola

Undo is so bug ridden I quit using it as it destroyed my models a lot of time. Keep in mind that SOME command WON'T be rolled back, so let's say you have 10 commands and you undo 5, there is a risk 1 step is not undo...

In sketch seems to works every time, but modeling and drawing is a mess.

Ryan McVay

For a software that everyone has praised for the last decade or so..I'm not seeing what people are praising. It appears every turn I take I'm hitting something that makes me smack my head and say "You gotta be kidding me." or "Who the heck thought of that workflow for a function!"

Umberto Zanola

I'm on the same boat... switched from NX to SW and the ways the software crashes unexpectedly and randomly on stupid things is not amusing.

I run it on 2 Certified HP Z230 with official tested driver and reinstalled the software 3 times... it doesn't help a bit.

Ryan McVay

Yep..been using NX for over 25 years now and represented the U.S. national user for Modeling and Assemblies for quite awhile..and I can't believe the inconsistencies, duplicate icons for different functions, the workflows and the need to keep a sheet of paper taped to the monitor with all "the shortcuts". Don't even get me started about licensing and administration functions, etc..

Anyway, I can see that with 2015 a shift is occurring. The software is going through some major changes. Maybe, just maybe, we can start to see some improvements to the core functions, file architecture (SW 2015) and maybe even some actual EPDM/SW integration..not holding my breath on the last one.

But in the end, in this position, this is the software the company uses. It does the job well, with a ton of 3rd party consulting and software, and continues to do so. Just don't go outside of the company's "normal" usage of the software. That's where I hit everything.