9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 11:14 AM by John Huntington

Slow PDM performance with Data Cards

John Huntington

Currently using 2016 PDM professional SP1 and our data card performance with folders is very slow but only with Folders not files.  It's not a hardware issue I assure you.

It started slowing down with 2015 EPDM but it wasn't as bad as it is now.  When I select folders in PDM, if I switch the "Data Card" Tab to a different tab I can select folders fast, but as soon as I switch back to Data Card it's about a 3 second delay.   Also when I create a new folder and I have to fill out the Data Card for it, it is painfully slow

But like I said, file data cards works work fast, no problems at all

• Re: Slow PDM performance with Data Cards
          Richard Bremmer

You will need to debug. Make a backup of your card and than delete the input fields one by one untill the issue no longer shows. Restore your card and again delete the specific field. Now you know which variable is cause of the issue an dthat might lead to a fix.

Lee CS Young

Have you done any database maintenance like rebuilding indexes?

John Huntington

Nope, I will have to google how to do that and try it, thanks for the tip

John Huntington

Thank you! For pointing me into the right direction, that is exactly what it was.  I couldn't find the exact index to rebuild and there was too many to count but I found a script that let me rebuild all indexes and after running it my problem went away!

Petteri Nyholm

Hello John,

I'm facing similar issue. Where did you find the correct script?

Which server version you have? We have Win 2012 R2.

John Huntington

You can set up a maintenance plan to do this. (Sorry you will have to google how)

As far as the script to do it now, here it is

--/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          --Arguments             Data Type               Description
                          --------------          ------------            ------------
                          --@FillFactor           [int]                   Specifies a percentage that indicates how full the Database Engine should make the leaf level
                          --                                              of each index page during index creation or alteration. The valid inputs for this parameter
                          --                                              must be an integer value from 1 to 100 The default is 0.
                          --                                              For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177459.aspx.

--@PadIndex             [varchar](3)            Specifies index padding. The PAD_INDEX option is useful only when FILLFACTOR is specified,
                          --                                              because PAD_INDEX uses the percentage specified by FILLFACTOR. If the percentage specified
                          --                                              for FILLFACTOR is not large enough to allow for one row, the Database Engine internally
                          --                                              overrides the percentage to allow for the minimum. The number of rows on an intermediate
                          --                                              index page is never less than two, regardless of how low the value of fillfactor. The valid
                          --                                              inputs for this parameter are ON or OFF. The default is OFF.
                          --                                              For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188783.aspx.

--@SortInTempDB         [varchar](3)            Specifies whether to store temporary sort results in tempdb. The valid inputs for this
                          --                                              parameter are ON or OFF. The default is OFF.
                          --                                              For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188281.aspx.

--@OnlineRebuild        [varchar](3)            Specifies whether underlying tables and associated indexes are available for queries and data
                          --                                              modification during the index operation. The valid inputs for this parameter are ON or OFF.
                          --                                              The default is OFF.
                          --                                              Note: Online index operations are only available in Enterprise edition of Microsoft
                          --                                                      SQL Server 2005 and above.
                          --                                              For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191261.aspx.

--@DataCompression      [varchar](4)            Specifies the data compression option for the specified index, partition number, or range of
                          --                                              partitions. The options  for this parameter are as follows:
                          --                                                  > NONE - Index or specified partitions are not compressed.
                          --                                                  > ROW  - Index or specified partitions are compressed by using row compression.
                          --                                                  > PAGE - Index or specified partitions are compressed by using page compression.
                          --                                              The default is NONE.
                          --                                              Note: Data compression feature is only available in Enterprise edition of Microsoft
                          --                                                      SQL Server 2005 and above.
                          --                                              For more information about compression, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280449.aspx.

--@MaxDOP               [int]                   Overrides the max degree of parallelism configuration option for the duration of the index
                          --                                              operation. The valid input for this parameter can be between 0 and 64, but should not exceed
                          --                                              number of processors available to SQL Server.
                          --                                              For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189094.aspx.
                          --- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*/

-- Ensure a USE <databasename> statement has been executed first.

SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE  @Version                           [numeric] (18, 10)
                                  ,@SQLStatementID                    [int]
                                  ,@CurrentTSQLToExecute              [nvarchar](max)
                                  ,@FillFactor                        [int]        = 100 -- Change if needed
                                  ,@PadIndex                          [varchar](3) = N'OFF' -- Change if needed
                                  ,@SortInTempDB                      [varchar](3) = N'OFF' -- Change if needed
                                  ,@OnlineRebuild                     [varchar](3) = N'OFF' -- Change if needed
                                  ,@LOBCompaction                     [varchar](3) = N'ON' -- Change if needed
                                  ,@DataCompression                   [varchar](4) = N'NONE' -- Change if needed
                                  ,@MaxDOP                            [int]        = NULL -- Change if needed
                                  ,@IncludeDataCompressionArgument    [char](1);

IF OBJECT_ID(N'TempDb.dbo.#Work_To_Do') IS NOT NULL
                              DROP TABLE #Work_To_Do
                          CREATE TABLE #Work_To_Do
                              (
                                [sql_id] [int] IDENTITY(1, 1)
                                               PRIMARY KEY ,
                                [tsql_text] [varchar](1024) ,
                                [completed] [bit]
                              )

SET @Version = CAST(LEFT(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY(N'ProductVersion') AS [nvarchar](128)), CHARINDEX('.', CAST(SERVERPROPERTY(N'ProductVersion') AS [nvarchar](128))) - 1) + N'.' + REPLACE(RIGHT(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY(N'ProductVersion') AS [nvarchar](128)), LEN(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY(N'ProductVersion') AS [nvarchar](128))) - CHARINDEX('.', CAST(SERVERPROPERTY(N'ProductVersion') AS [nvarchar](128)))), N'.', N'') AS [numeric](18, 10))

IF @DataCompression IN (N'PAGE', N'ROW', N'NONE')
                              AND (
                                  @Version >= 10.0
                                  AND SERVERPROPERTY(N'EngineEdition') = 3
                                  )
                          BEGIN
                              SET @IncludeDataCompressionArgument = N'Y'
                          END

IF @IncludeDataCompressionArgument IS NULL
                          BEGIN
                              SET @IncludeDataCompressionArgument = N'N'
                          END

INSERT INTO #Work_To_Do ([tsql_text], [completed])
                          SELECT 'ALTER INDEX [' + i.[name] + '] ON' + SPACE(1) + QUOTENAME(t2.[TABLE_CATALOG]) + '.' + QUOTENAME(t2.[TABLE_SCHEMA]) + '.' + QUOTENAME(t2.[TABLE_NAME]) + SPACE(1) + 'REBUILD WITH (' + SPACE(1) + + CASE
                                  WHEN @PadIndex IS NULL
                                      THEN 'PAD_INDEX =' + SPACE(1) + CASE i.[is_padded]
                                              WHEN 1
                                                  THEN 'ON'
                                              WHEN 0
                                                  THEN 'OFF'
                                              END
                                  ELSE 'PAD_INDEX =' + SPACE(1) + @PadIndex
                                  END + CASE
                                  WHEN @FillFactor IS NULL
                                      THEN ', FILLFACTOR =' + SPACE(1) + CONVERT([varchar](3), REPLACE(i.[fill_factor], 0, 100))
                                  ELSE ', FILLFACTOR =' + SPACE(1) + CONVERT([varchar](3), @FillFactor)
                                  END + CASE
                                  WHEN @SortInTempDB IS NULL
                                      THEN ''
                                  ELSE ', SORT_IN_TEMPDB =' + SPACE(1) + @SortInTempDB
                                  END + CASE
                                  WHEN @OnlineRebuild IS NULL
                                      THEN ''
                                  ELSE ', ONLINE =' + SPACE(1) + @OnlineRebuild
                                  END + ', STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE =' + SPACE(1) + CASE st.[no_recompute]
                                  WHEN 0
                                      THEN 'OFF'
                                  WHEN 1
                                      THEN 'ON'
                                  END + ', ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS =' + SPACE(1) + CASE i.[allow_row_locks]
                                  WHEN 0
                                      THEN 'OFF'
                                  WHEN 1
                                      THEN 'ON'
                                  END + ', ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS =' + SPACE(1) + CASE i.[allow_page_locks]
                                  WHEN 0
                                      THEN 'OFF'
                                  WHEN 1
                                      THEN 'ON'
                                  END + CASE
                                  WHEN @IncludeDataCompressionArgument = N'Y'
                                      THEN CASE
                                              WHEN @DataCompression IS NULL
                                                  THEN ''
                                              ELSE ', DATA_COMPRESSION =' + SPACE(1) + @DataCompression
                                              END
                                  ELSE ''
                                  END + CASE
                                  WHEN @MaxDop IS NULL
                                      THEN ''
                                  ELSE ', MAXDOP =' + SPACE(1) + CONVERT([varchar](2), @MaxDOP)
                                  END + SPACE(1) + ')'
                          FROM [sys].[tables] t1
                          INNER JOIN [sys].[indexes] i ON t1.[object_id] = i.[object_id]
                              AND i.[index_id] > 0
                              AND i.[type] IN (1, 2)
                          INNER JOIN [INFORMATION_SCHEMA].[TABLES] t2 ON t1.[name] = t2.[TABLE_NAME]
                              AND t2.[TABLE_TYPE] = 'BASE TABLE'
                          INNER JOIN [sys].[stats] AS st WITH (NOLOCK) ON st.[object_id] = t1.[object_id]
                              AND st.[name] = i.[name]

SELECT @SQLStatementID = MIN([sql_id])
                          FROM #Work_To_Do
                          WHERE [completed] = 0

WHILE @SQLStatementID IS NOT NULL
                          BEGIN
                              SELECT @CurrentTSQLToExecute = [tsql_text]
                              FROM #Work_To_Do
                              WHERE [sql_id] = @SQLStatementID

PRINT @CurrentTSQLToExecute

EXEC [sys].[sp_executesql] @CurrentTSQLToExecute

UPDATE #Work_To_Do