6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 2:43 PM by Anthony Kuban

Simulation meshing fails everytime...

Anthony Kuban

Alright ladies and gents. I have a fairly sophisticated assembly iv'e been working on. It resembles an airplane wing air-frame. There's roughly 3 different materials being called out to individual components. The assembly itself probably only has around 50 or so components (most being duplicates).

My issue is every time i go to do a simple simulation i get meshing errors like wildfire. Nothing ever seems to mesh nicely with this software. I can, individually go through and mesh each component in the study tree... and run a simulation. But when i do i get meshing errors again.. even though it was meshed...

Does anyone know of a commonly made mistake that often cause simulation to do this? I have tried many different ways to mesh. It seems to hate both large and normal displacement modes. Also seems to hate both rough and fine meshing methods. I'm about out of things to try.

Message was edited by: Anthony Kuban Here's the whole project folder. I'm sure it will come down to how i have geometry set. I'm not asking anyone to fix this for me unless they feel so inclined... but more or less just tell me what i did wrong if you can.

• Re: Simulation meshing fails everytime...
          Seckin Uslu

It depends on geometry. If you are able to send geometry , ı will examine for you

James Riddell

1st step - check your geometry closely.  No small gaps, no slivers, no singularities, no point contacts and all perfectly mated surfaces (not 'assembly mate' but 'physical mate').

2nd step - remove all holes and small geometry, fillets, chamfers, etc. that you practically can.

3rd step - if curvature-based mesh doesn't work, try standard mesh.  In the latter case you can refine the detail and still not get as many DOFs so run time would be about the same.

4th step - if the others fail - apply some mesh controls on areas/geometry that is throwing fits.

5th step - remodel.

Attilio Colangelo

@Well, you’re off to a good start if you can mesh the parts individually.  In my experience, the rest of the process would go like this:

• Create an assembly with 2 known good parts
              • Run   Tools --> Interference detection     Make sure you don't have parts interfering/gouging each other.
              • Run   Interference detection again with "Treat coincidence  as interference" checked.  Make sure any parts that are meant to be mated/touching are detected.  Otherwise this means you have a small gap between parts that was not intended.
              • Mesh this assembly making tweaks in the mesher as needed. See James Riddell comments  for guidance there and also on de-featuring the individual parts.
              • When you have successfully meshed this 2 part assembly, add another part to the assembly.
              • Keep adding 1 part at a time to the assembly. Repeat above steps interference detection, meshing, etc. each time

When you get the hang of it you can start adding multiple parts at a time. Yes, this is tedious but it has a direction. Trial and error meshing of the whole assembly may never get you there.

Anthony Kuban

I think tonight i'm going to restart my whole project. I have a set profile i'm working through so ill try to rebuild all the components with the highest accuracy but at the same time i used the same sketch to spit out each one of my components. I have a hunch on where to start. One component may have left a few line segments in a sketch but i really cant see that affecting this.