3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 8:26 AM by Amit Katz

Vary RPM of a fan

Hans Christian Tekol

Hi everyone,

I am simulating an inverter cooling with axial fans. Does anyone know how to vary RPM of a fan in Solidworks Flow Simulation? Because I want to see the effect of fan static pressure to thermal behavior of the cooling.

I have tried changing the rotor speed (rad/s), which is corresponding to RPM, but to no avail. Let's say I use Papst 8412N fan, the default rpm is 3600 rpm. I have varied the rpm from 3600 to 50 rpm, but the results are similar.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hans

• Re: Vary RPM of a fan
          Amit Katz

How are you gaging the effects of the fan's RPM? Are you looking at the velocity of the wake?

Hans Christian Tekol

Hi Amit Katz,

Well actually my concern is the junction temperature of IGBT modules installed on a heatsink, which is cooled down by axial fans.

Based on the fan's performance curve (static pressure vs RPM), I want to have higher static pressure by decreasing the RPM, in order to acommodate pressure loss of the system (inverter).

I have looked into KB, online help, tutorial concerning this matter, but have't found any solution yet. Do you know if it's even possible to change the RPM of a fan in SolidWorks Flow Simulation?

Amit Katz

It sounds to me like you are using a fan boundary condition, rather than a rotating region. When you give a surface a "fan" condition and supply a performance curve, the simulation will find a balance point for that surface on the curve, depending on the intensity of pressure that the surface interacts with. As far as I know there's no way to set a point on the curve, you would need to provide a different curve for a different RPM.

What you could do instead is actually model the fan in full detail and set it as a sliding mesh rotating region. This will simulate the physical interaction of the fan blades with the air, and you can manually specify whatever RPM you choose. Please note, this is a computationally intensive option, and the simulation can take a long time.