5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 6:25 AM by Philip Antoniou

Draw a bracket on a tube

Philip Antoniou

I've drawn a vehicle spaceframe. I now need to have a 5mm plate sitting on the front surface this triangular arrangement of three tubes.

The lines you see in the tubes are the 3D sketch used to create the tube members.

The only way I could think of drawing the plate is to create a new plane using the 3D sketch lines and then offset the plane the same amount as the radius of the tubes, so that the plane sits on the tubes. Is this the cleanest method though?

• Re: Draw a bracket on a tube
          Taghi Nasiri

Hello

You want Create plate like this ???

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

You can also create your plane then create another plane that references it and is tangent to the tube face.

This way, your plane updates to a change in tube OD.

You could also equate your plane's offset, in Manage Equations, to the tube OD/2, assuming the OD and offset are exposed in the equations dialog.

Cheers,

Kevin

Philip Antoniou

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Hello,

You can also create your plane then create another plane that references it and is tangent to the tube face.

This way, your plane updates to a change in tube OD.

This sounds good. How do I create the second plane that "references is and is tangent to the tube face"?

What I've done is created a plane using the lines you can see in my drawing. Then created a second plane that is offset by the same amount as the tube radius, so the new plane sits on the tubes. You can see the result is good but I had to create two planes and the plane is not referenced to the surface of the tubes.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Create a plane using two of the three members' sketch lines.

Create another plane: select the previous plane (it's probably already preselected from the first plane command) and then select the OD of one of the tubes.

Select the portion of the OD near to where you want the plane to be so SW doesn't place it on the opposite side of things.

By default, this may create a plane square to want you want. Just select parallel instead of perpendicular.

See attached.

If you need to be offset from the pipe face, select the second plane and create a third plane at the offset distance (not in my attached part).

Cheers,

Kevin

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can hide (not suppress) these planes if you wish.