7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 12:58 AM by Michael Pell

Dimension dialog variable doesn't work!

Michael Pell

Entering equal sign, and picking dimension, doesn't do anything when clicking green check mark.

="D1@Sketch1"/2   doesn't work.

When I enter = it turns red, and picking a dimension populates as shown above, but clicking green check does nothing and dialog remains open.

Is it because I'm using student edition?

Thanx

• Re: Dimension dialog variable doesn't work!
          J. Mather

Michael Pell wrote:

Is it because I'm using student edition?

Thanx

No, it is not because you are using student version - I am using student license - and it works fine for me.

But you didn't indicate what version of the student license you are using.

And you didn't indicate what version of Windows OS  you are using.

This sounds like known issue installing on Windows 10 OS.

You should have gotten a warning about disabling a Microsoft Update prior to the install of SolidWorks.

How long ago did you install SolidWorks?

I followed the instructions and have not seen this issue on my installation on Win 10 OS.

Michael Pell

J,

I see you are using 2014 Student license. I installed Academic Year 2015-2016 on December 31, 2015, valid until December 31, 2016

I was running on an  ASUSteEK  G20AJ   i7  16Gb,  Windows 10 box  w/Nvidia GeForce GTX 960.

But I transferred to a Dell Precision T3500 Xeon 12Gb  Nvidia Quadro 2000 w/354.56 driver, Windows 7 x64 Pro, and have same issue.

$369 +SH( used like-new on Amazon ) spent to no avail, as I suspected I needed a CAD graphics card. Wrong!

The Dell hardware combination passes the system compatibility test on SW website.

I did get a warning about   KB3072630, but neither Windows 10 nor Windows 7 x64 Pro installed that update, and I

did check installed updates and it is not on the list of installed updates.

Thanx

J. Mather

Michael Pell wrote:

J,

I see you are using 2014 Student license. I installed Academic Year 2015-2016 on December 31, 2015, valid until December 31, 2016

Not sure where you got that information - I guess there is something in my profile that I need to update.

I am running Academic Year 2015-2016 (r2015) on Win 10.

As an instructor - each year I install the new release and generate a more detailed installation instruction sheet for my students.

As I recall the update was a bit hidden.  I simply ran the Disable/Re-enable registry edits as advised during the install.

Also, do you have MS Excel installed on this machine and run at least once (to accept license) before installing SolidWorks?

Did you install SolidWorks with UAC and anti-virus temporarily disabled?

Michael Pell

J.,

I clicked on your photo for software info.

I didn't see advisory about disabling registry edits during install.

I didn't turn off UAC, but when the administrative dialog came up asking if I would allow changes I clicked OK

What update, Windows or SW. If there is a SW update, I don't know how to get it!

The Dell came with Windows x64 Pro SP1 pre-installed, and went through usual new install sequence, asking

for time zone, computer name, etc. just like a new computer.

However, since it was already service pack 1, I didn't do any Windows updates until after SW install.

I don't have excel on the Dell that I just transferred license to, but after entering product key license was confirmed over internet.

On the old box, I did disable antivirus.

On the new box I installed SW without antivirus installed just to eliminate the possibility of it being the issue.

Everything else works great, I'm half way through the excellent book,

Learning Solidworks 2015 by Randy H. Shih,  SDC Publications, and starting chapter 7.

I later found out there's a 2016 version of the book, and you can get the toy robot for additional $18.

Having loads of fun, I find SW very easy to learn and use, though I have been using CAD software since 80's.

Thanx for helping,

Mike

Vladimir Urazhdin

Follow the below link to SolidWorks Support page with Solutions to avoid the problems you can come across due to this:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/techkb3072630.htm