4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 8:23 AM by Matt Mengel

2016 crashing on view placement

Matt Mengel

My co-worker had this problem and I don't seem to find a solution by searching. I checked and I'm having the same issue. It has something to do with scaling.

File > New > chose template, OK >  Insert > Drawing View > Model > Browse

I pick a model and try to place the view. Depending on the model - I get the "The sheet scale has changed" pop up.  Regardless what options we choose on the popup, it causes a crash.

If I manually change the scale, no crash.

If I deselect the "Automatically scale new drawing views"; no crash.

It was happening on a B sized template. I tried it with our D size and no crash. I used a model of a part that was significantly smaller than a D sized sheet; no crash.  I used a model of a part that was significantly larger than a D sized sheet; no crash.

Logically, it would seem to be our template. We haven't made any changes to our templates since IT installed 2016 this past Monday (1/11/16). SP1.0

• Re: 2016 crashing on view placement
          Dale Emery

My problem seems quite the same: On two computers, shortly after installing SW 2016 SP 1.0, I have the same or very similar issue.

Normally I open a template and draw my parts on the template. But the new scale pop up is crashing SolidWorks. For me it doesn't seem to matter what I try, letting it attempt to auto scale. I have taken for granted the auto-scale function, so this does give some appreciation along with the frustration. I often create new drawings from many different sizes of parts.

Manually scaling is my only workaround for now. I must guess at an appropriate scale, or perhaps the scale that SolidWorks would default to for the given part, by size.

Jim Sculley

This is a known problem:

SPR #:918068

Product:SolidWorks

Fixed in:2016 SP02

Area:Drawings

Sub-Area:Drawing Views - Drawing Views Gener

Customer Impact:High

Enhancement:No

Summary:Drawings – View Generation: Crash after placing drawing view with warning 'The sheet scale has changed ……'

David Stone

Matt

I found this problem on day 1 of using SW2016.  It seems to happen almost exclusively when using files that were created in previous SolidWorks versions.  I've found that if you insert a view from the left-hand menu (which usually displays when creating a drawing from a model) the sheet scale message displays and SolidWorks crashes.  If you skip placing a view from the left-hand menu and instead insert a view from the View Pallette (in the right-hand side of the screen) then the issue/crash does not occur.  NOTE: you will have to refresh the views in the View Pallette for the correct model.

Hope this helps

Best regards

David

Matt Mengel

Thanks gents - I'll be looking forward to SP2.0 and see how it goes.