2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 12:39 PM by Kevin Chandler

How to auto-populate dimensions of an assembly, in a drawing bom?

Sam Dewsnap

Hi,

I have an assembly with many parts within it, and I am trying to create a BOM of the total assembly, with a dimensions column.

Rather than manually type the overall dimensions of a part, which has room for manual error, is there a way to create a column that automatically takes each parts dimensions, and places them in each row?

Thanks

Sam

• Re: How to auto-populate dimensions of an assembly, in a drawing bom?
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know about automatic, but you could create a custom property (or properties) in each Part that's linked to the relevant dimensions, and then call out this custom property in the BOM.  It would take some time to set up, but should work.

• Re: How to auto-populate dimensions of an assembly, in a drawing bom?
            Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Along the lines of Mr. Schroeder's post, you assign global variables to the required part dimensions and then assign custom variables to track the global variables.

The custom variables are what's displayed in your BOM (after adding the custom property columns).

See attached.

You can also create the custom variables and use these to drive the part's dimension without using global variables.

For this method, these 3 dimensions must be modified in the custom properties dialog box while all others are modified via their sketches, property managers or in the Manage Equations dialog.

For the previous method, modifications are done for all in the sketches, property managers or in the Manage Equations dialog so I think it's easier for future modifications.

Cheers,

Kevin