AnsweredAssumed Answered

Computer Performance Optimization

Question asked by Seth Langston on Oct 18, 2007
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2007 by Seth Langston
I have a dual processor, dual core machine (Xeon 5160 @3.00 gb for each core on each processor) with 4 gb of ram, and dual 10,000 rpm hard drives. The loaner computer I was using was a Core2 duo @2.6 gb with 4 gb of ram and dual 10,000 rpm hard drives. I am finding that when I run the same problem it takes longer on this new machine. This COSOMS setup has pin connectors, node to surface no penetration contacts, and over 1.1 million degrees of freedom. I ran it on CW07 4.0 and it took about 2 hours and 51 minutes on the old machine. On the new machine, the same problem took 3 hours and 22 minutes.

Just to check some things, I installed COSMOS 08 on each computer and ran the same problem again. COSMOS 08 was much faster (although it gave different results), solving the problem in 1 hour and 4 minutes on the old machine and 1 hour and 11 minutes on the new machine. I am still confused though because the newer/faster computer takes longer. Any ideas on what I can do to speed this machine up?

Outcomes