2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 7:53 AM by Chris Horne

Looking for best Rendering PC for SW

Matt Yackel

Hello, looking to find out some opinions on the best option for a rendering box.  We have many Boxx Tech pc's that our Mechanical Engineer's use that work great with overclock i7's.  But our Proposal Engineer is thinking that maybe something with more cores would work better for the rendering.  Looking on Boxx's site there are many options for proc, gpu's, ram and so forth.  Question is which processor would you choose and why? Does it need to be a Xeon or would i7 still be just as good.  Next is which gpu, we have tried many over the years, looking for something that will be stable and perform well. As of right now I was thinking of the Nvidia Quadro K4200.  How much ram, is 32gb enough?  Willing to spend upwards of around $6k for the build.

Thanks

• Re: Looking for best Rendering PC for SW
          Wojciech Paterski

well I'd say the more cores the better/faster, as that's what's used to do the rendering. Xeon procesors are more stable and I'm thinking if it's for rendering machine that will run on full power most of the time then maybe they would be better (maybe someone else knows). Graphic card is not doing anything while rendering - would only help you in displaying loaded models, but it doesn't speed up rendering times.

Ram - it all depends how big are your models.

ps> saying that GPU doesn't do anything for rendering, SW2016 SP2.0 will have SW Visualize, which is old BunkSpeed - which i think might have option to do CPU, GPU or CPU/GPU rendering - but someone else would have to confirm.

• Re: Looking for best Rendering PC for SW
              Chris Horne

for the fastest rendering, you need as many cores/threads as possible, so if you can find a multi cpu box thats the way to go. ( i dont think you get mutli i7 cpu motherboards, only xeon). gpu, we nearly bought the K4200 recently, but for about the same money we got the newer series m4000's, which have more ram. we have noticed fewer crashes since, so dont skimp on the g card. 50% of my work is drawings, and performance is way better with the new card. regarding ram, we tried 32gb on our machines, and despite being win7 x64, the os never reported using more that about 6 gb, so it seemed unnecessary spending more money on the ram (but we only load small assemblies). theres my 2 pence...