13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 4:08 AM by Chris Berry

Stepping  out file in Metric

robert dattilo

Hello;

I had an assy. that I working on in inch units & a customer needed a model so we stepped it out & sent it to them. Then they asked could we re-send it in Metric. If I re-set the units

to Metric, & re-step the file out, does this do what's required, or what needs to be done?

Thanks, in advance for any input.

Rob_D SW 2015 Sp4

• Re: Stepping  out file in Metric
          Deepak Gupta

Yes OR may be no as STEP file may not carry units. Like in SW while importing or even after importing, you can change units.

Which software they are using to Import/open the files. Can you ask them to check if they can change units while opening the STEP files.

robert dattilo

Hello Deepak;

They're using NX. I agree they really should be able to do something on their end. There's probably an Engineer who knows very little & wants to

be spoon feed, but I think they're missing the point. We're putting the file on a FTP site also. What we might end up doing is we have a NX user in our co., & they might open & convert the file for them. I was wondering if switching my units on my end before stepping it out,  would of helped or if it was still up to them or their settings?

Thanks,

Rob_D

Deepak Gupta

I don't think you need to do anything. I would better suggest to convert the file in NX itself (and save/set in two unit systems; Inch and Metric) and send them both set of files. This would make the engineer happy and you won't be bothered much.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Robert,

You are much better off sending a Parasolid file to NX (x_t or x_b; the only difference is the first is a text format, the second is binary so the file will usually be smaller). Parasolid is the native format of both systems so there is less translation going through this process. Depending on what version of NX they are using, you may have to choose an earlier version of Parasolid than the latest listed in the export options dialog when exporting. Here is the help topic about Parasolid and how to get to the options:

2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Parasolid Files (*.x_t, *.x_b)

The reasons to choose Parasolid over other formats are:

• It is the native format of SOLIDWORKS and NX so the solids go directly out and back in without "translation" to and from another format which by its nature changes the data and then changes it back and therefore can introduce inaccuracies through the translation process.
                    • Parasolid will be faster because it does not have to translate into a different format and then back when importing. It also doesn't have to go through the process of "knitting" all of the faces together back into a solid. Parasolid translates the solids natively while the other formats translates them into surfaces and then back.
                    • Parasolid has better support for colors, assembly structure, and component names than many of the other formats.

I just wanted to add this detail to help you as well as anyone else encountering the thread in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

robert dattilo

Hello;

Do you think if I re-set my units to metric; then did a Parasolid export, that when they opened the file, they would then have the metric units? Do they need to do something on their end either way to ensure this? Also, are you aware of any info. that more or less lists the best SW export formats for various receiving applications in general such as  UG, Catia etc., as well as what you mentioned for NX?

Thanks for any input;

Rob_D

robert dattilo

Hello again;

This is a little off track with this, but wondering if anyone knows what's going on with this. My colleague opened  my step & converted it to the native file NX. My question is when I go into the his folder, why does the file appear as a Creo file?

Is there some connection with the way my viewer is looking at the file. We know he opened my step in NX, & then worked with the file, I verified it with him, yet when I look into the folder I see it as a Creo part file.  

Thanks,

Rob_DQuestionAboutNX_LookingLikeCreoFile.jpg

Deepak Gupta

Both NX and Creo has same file extensions. And you're machine might have Creo installed. So this could be reason that you're seeing that file as Creo file.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Robert,

Do you have Creo on your machine? Windows shows filetypes based on "associations". So if you have Creo or a Creo viewer installed on your machine, then the *.prt extension is probably associated with Creo. On his machine, if he has NX, then the *.prt extension is associated with NX and will show that as the filetype. Unfortunately, many CAD systems use the same *.prt extension, hence this confusion. Any one extension syntax can only be associated with one application and associations are not smart enough to look inside the file and tell what type of file it is...it is simply looking at what the file extension is and then the OS handles showing the filetype based on it's association. So even if you have both NX and Creo installed on your machine, it will show ALL *.prt files as either NX or Creo depending on which application the *.prt file is currently associated. SOLIDWORKS originally started with *.prt as the part file extension, but as soon as Windows introduced support for more characters in file extensions than 3, we switched to *.sldprt.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Chris Berry

The problem here is NX. IMO, NX is one of the worst CAD packages I've ever used when it comes to usability; its so frustrating.

Why is NX the problem? Well you cannot change the units of a part from metric to imperial & visa-versa from within the program. Yes, you heard right, you cannot switch the units of a part between mm & inch. But it gets better, if you have an assembly & all the parts are in mm & try to import a part that is in inch, it wont let you & there's nothing you can do about it.

So this is why your client wants you to export the part in mm. They must be using an assembly with all the other parts in mm & cannot switch it themselves.